onset

Dog warns man of house fire

Published 12:00am Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Antioch man is alive, thanks to the family dog, after fire broke out in a Southwind Road residence Friday night.

Antioch Volunteer Fire Department Chief Alex Leonard said his team was dispatched to the home around 9:30 p.m.

“We were dispatched to a structure fire at the residence of James Hurst,” he said. “The residence was occupied by his daughter and son-in-law at the time of the fire.”

Mary Hurst, Hurst’s wife, said their son-in-law was asleep in the living room when the family’s dog awoke him from his nap.

“He saw flames coming from the ceiling,” she said. “They lost everything, but I’m just thankful no one was hurt. This is all quite a shock.”

Leonard said the home didn’t completely burn; however, there was enough smoke damage to rule it a complete loss.

“It took us from 9:30 p.m. to midnight to put out the fire,” he said.

Leonard said the cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

“The investigator is supposed to be coming (soon),” Hurst said. “I’ll just be glad when they get here, so we can get the (structure) skeleton out of the way. We just keep looking out the window and seeing it.”

Hurst said her daughter and son-in-law are staying at their home as of now.

“People have been nice and are bringing clothes,” she said. “The neighborhood has really rallied around them.”

Babbie Volunteer Fire Department assisted in putting out the fire.

Editor's Picks