Much on tap at AMS this monthPublished 12:00am Wednesday, October 20, 2010
It’s mid-October, and the staff and students here are getting very excited about the upcoming events at AMS!
They hope everyone will join the sixth grade on the square tomorrow for the Living History program.
Parents, students and teachers have put a lot of work into this educational project. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. at city hall and will stop at the square. At that time, the students will begin their recitations. Everyone is invited to join the sixth graders.
Red Ribbon Week is just around the corner, and the new project for SGA is making posters and signs to hang around the school discouraging drugs.
Some of the ideas for the posters are “Drugs Haunt your Life” (a picture of a haunted house) “Say ‘Boo’ to Drugs” (a picture of a ghost) etc. An example of a sign is “Drugs are Trash” on trash cans. JUST SAY NO.
Also, report cards came out last week. Parents should come by the school office to pick up report cards, if they have not already done so.
Sunny D. labels just keep coming. The class that collects the most labels is awarded free break. The students just can’t get the thought of free break out of their minds. The way I see it is that it only costs you $6 to buy a pack of Sunny D’s that will get the library a brand new book that would originally cost around $14 for free. Come on and show your support and keep bringing them in until Nov. 30.
The fair is in town and the students are chomping at the bit to go ride those exhilarating rides. Good luck to all of the students in the talent and beauty contests. Don’t get sick on too much cotton candy and funnel cakes.
Here are some important dates:
• Progress reports today, Oct. 20
• Living History, Oct. 21
• School Pep Rally, Oct. 21
• Basketball vs. T.R. Miller home 5 p.m. girls and eighth grade, Oct. 21
• Basketball vs. Opp home 4 p.m. seventh grade, girls, eighth grade grade, Oct.25
• Basketball vs. Straughn away 4 p.m. seventh grade, girls, eighth grade, Oct. 26
• Basketball vs. Troy away 5 p.m. seventh grade, girls, eighth grade, Oct. 28
• Progress reports, Nov. 3
• Basketball vs T.R. Miller away 5 p.m. girls and eighth grade, Nov.2
• Middleusia Nov. 6
• Veterans’ Day holiday No school, Nov. 11
• Veterans’ Day program Nov. 12 All veterans are invited to come to this program as AMS recognizes the people who have made this country great. (for further questions call the office at 334-222-6542).
• Basketball vs. Coppinville away 5 p.m. girls and seventh grade, Nov. 8
• Basketball vs. Marshall home 5 p.m. girls and eighth grade, Nov. 9
• Basketball vs. Pleasant Home away 4 p.m. eighth grade, girls, eighth grade, Nov.15
• Basketball vs. Marshall away 5 p.m. girls and eighth grade, Nov.16
• Progress reports, Nov. 17
• Thanksgiving holidays, Nov. 22-26. Can you believe it Thanksgiving already?
OK, AMS knows that Mr. Brown was in the paper last week but he deserves another mention this week. Everyone should know that he has the same bulldogs, which are around the school for sale. Anyone who would like to purchase one, it is only $7! He has made Auburn and Alabama cheerleaders to sell, too. If you are interested contact the office at 334-222-6542.
Contributed by Sarah Atkinson for the AMS News