ASL posts 58 best swim timesPublished 12:00am Thursday, June 14, 2012
Andalusia’s swim team posted 58 personal best times at its first competitive meet in Opelika last Saturday.Indians
“The team really impressed the coaches at the meet,” Andalusia swim coach Gavin Donaldson said. “I knew that there would be improvement, I just didn’t expect this much early in the season.”
Donaldson said the swimmers that exceeded state qualifying times were Stuart Baker in the 50-yard breaststroke; B.J. Donaldson in the 50-yard breaststroke and backstroke; Noah Rider in the 50-yard breaststroke and back stroke; and Mary Beth Baker in the 100-yard freestyle.
Additionally, Donaldson, Cali Fillmer and Baker broke the ASL (Andalusia Swim League) team records in the 50-yard breaststroke, freestyle, butterfly, backstroke and 100-yard freestyle events in Opelika.
Donaldson swam the 50-yard breaststroke in 31.06 seconds, and the 50-yard freestyle in 24.71 seconds; Fillmer swam the 50-yard butterfly in 32.84 seconds, and the 50-yard backstroke in 35.43 seconds; and Baker swam the 100-yard freestyle in 1 minute, 9.44 seconds.
The ASL’s next swim meet will be this Saturday in Troy at the Troy Recreation Center. Warm ups are at 9 a.m., and the meet will begin at 10 a.m.
Andalusia will compete against Troy, Eufaula and Dothan.
The ASL first place finishes in Opelika included:
• Josh Riley, Zach Gayford, Alex Browning and Aidan Vines in the boys’ 8 and under 100-yard medley relay.
• Baker, Callen Woodard, Bella Whisonant and Elisabeth Younce in the girls’ 11-12 200-yard medley relay.
• Rider, Donaldson, Fillmer and Devan Ellis in the mens’ 15-18 200-yard medley relay.
• Vines in the boys’ 8U 25-yard freestyle.
• Emma Younce in the girls’ 9-10 50-yard freestyle.
• Donaldson in the mens’ 15-18 50-yard freestyle.
• Baker in the boys’ 9-10 50-yard breastroke.
• Donaldson in the mens’ 15-18 50-yard breastroke.
• Evie Younce in the girls’ 8U 100-yard individual medley (IM).
• Emma Younce in the girls’ 9-10 100-yard IM.
• Fillmer in the girls’ 13-14 100-yard IM.
• Josh Hudson in the boys’ 13-14 100-yard IM.
• Chase Fillmer in the mens’ 15-18 100-yard IM.
• Emma Younce in the girls’ 9-10 50-yard backstroke.
• Baker in the girls’ 11-12 50-yard backstroke.
• Cali Fillmer in the girls’ 13-14 50-yard backstroke.
• Donaldson in the mens’ 15-18 50-yard backstroke.
• Browning in the boys’ 8U 50-yard freestyle.
• Baker in the girls’ 11-12 100-yard freestyle.
• Ethan Munnerlyn in the boys’ 13-14 100-yard freestyle.
• Vines in the boys’ 8U 25-yard butterfly.
• Cali Fillmer in the girls’ 13-14 50-yard butterfly.
• Chase Fillmer in the mens’ 15-18 50-yard butterfly.
• Browning, Vines, Gayford and Daniel Gacha in the boys’ 8U 100-yard freestyle relay.
• Woodard, Elisabeth Younce, Whisonant and Baker in the co-ed 11-12 200-yard freestyle relay.
• Chase Fillmer, Ellis, Rider and Donaldson in the mens’ 15-18 200-yard freestyle relay.