6 locals advance to short goPublished 12:01am Saturday, June 16, 2012
Six local cowboys and cowgirls advanced to today’s Short Go after posting good times Friday night in the Go 2 Slack of the Alabama High School Rodeo Association state finals at Covington Center Arena.
After the first two goes, the top 10 from each event advance to today’s part of the rodeo.
Clay Elmore of Opp and Luke Taylor of Kinston finished the first two rounds in the top 10 of calf roping; Maggie Holmes of Andalusia finished No. 9 in pole bending and got tying; Chase Hargrove of Florala finished No. 7 in steer wrestling; and Jordan Whitman of Straughn and Caleb Varner of Red Level finished No. 9 in team roping.
Additionally, Elmore advanced with his team-roping partner, Kelsey Kennemer, in the No. 4 spot in team roping.
Gus Maraman of Andalusia finished the calf roping event in 16th place, while Varner finished 20th.
Holmes finished the in 13th place, and Kim Reed of Pleasant Home finished 22nd in barrel racing.
The following are the six local competitors who advance to today’s Short Go, along with their times in each event from Friday night:
• Clay Elmore — 16.77 seconds, 85 total points
• Luke Taylor — 14.23 seconds, 62 total points
• Maggie Holmes — 25.828 seconds, 55.5 total points
• Chase Hargrove — no time, 20 total points
• Holmes — 10.99 seconds, 61.5 total points
• Clay Elmore, Kelsey Kennemer — not time, 146 total points
• Jordan Whitman, Caleb Varner — no time, 88 total points
The Short Go continues tonight at 7:30 in the arena.
The top four from each event after today will advance to nationals in Wyoming.