Several qualify on 1st dayPublished 12:01am Wednesday, July 4, 2012
It was a busy day in area municipal clerks offices as Tuesday marked the first official day of qualifying for the Aug. 28 municipal elections.coverage
The following is a list of candidates obtained by The Star-News staff:
• Mayor: Earl Johnson;
• District 1: Will Sconiers;
• District 3: Andy Alexander and Hazel Griffin; and,
• District 5: Terry Powell.
• Mayor: H.D. Edgar, Jimmy Rogers and John E. Bartholomew;
• District 1: Bobby Ray Owens;
• District 3: Mickey Crew and Arron Baldwin;
• District 4: Mack Hines; and,
• District 5: Oren Stewart and Arlin Davis.
Seats are also open for District 3 and District 5 school board seats.
• District 1: Hazel Lee; and,
• District 2: Marvin Williford.
In Red Level
• Mayor: Mike Purnell and Willie J. Hendrix;
• Council (who are elected at large): Wayne Mitchell
Gantt Town Clerk Christy Cartwright said no one qualified Tuesday.
There is still time to qualify to vote in the Aug. 28 municipal election.
Virginia Merritt of the Covington County Board of Registrars reminded residents Tuesday that the deadline is 10 days prior to the election.
“That means, if you’re not registered now, and want to vote in the Aug. 28 election, you need to come in by 5 p.m., on Aug. 17,” Merritt said.
Merritt said at last count, nearly 22,000 voters were registered in Covington County.