Mayors’ races: Heat is onPublished 12:05am Wednesday, July 18, 2012
There will be a heated mayoral race in nearly every municipality this election cycle.Mountain
At the end of Tuesday’s qualifying for the Aug. 28 municipal election, there were at least two mayor candidates in each municipal ballot.
In Andalusia, Earl Johnson, the incumbent, will face Blaine Wilson. There will also be a race for council seats in each district, with the exception of District 5. Current councilman Terry Powell has no opposition.
In Opp, H.D. Edgar, the incumbent, will face Jimmy Rogers and John. E. Bartholomew. There, only District 1’s Bobby Ray Owens did not face opposition.
In Florala, Mayor Robert Williamson will face his 2008 opponent, former mayor Danny Franklin. There will be a race in only two of the five districts – District 1 and 4.
In River Falls, the incumbent, Mary Hixon, will face Patricia Gunter.
There are three candidates vying for the mayoral seat in Gantt, Red Level and Dozier.
Complete candidate lists were not available for Sanford, Onycha or Babbie.
The following is a list of candidates, compiled by The Star-News staff, as of 5 p.m. Tuesday. Those without opposition are declared the winner by default. New announcements are noted in bold:
• Mayor: Earl Johnson and Blaine Wilson;
• District 1: Will Sconiers and Bridges Anderson;
• District 2: Kennith Mount and Duane O’Neal;
• District 3: Andy Alexander and Hazel Griffin;
• District 4: Johnny O. Godwin and Ralph Wells;
• District 5: Terry Powell;
• School Board District 2: Amy Duggar;
• School Board District 4: Dr. Bill King.
• Mayor: H.D. Edgar, Jimmy Rogers and John E. Bartholomew;
• District 1: Bobby Ray Owens;
• District 2: Sue Bowden, Tommie Norris, T.D. Morgan and Holley Brundidge;
• District 3: Mickey Crew, Arron Baldwin and Charles “Mike” Booth;
• District 4: Mack Hines, Adrian Horstead and Mary H. Brundidge;
• District 5: Oren Stewart and Arlin Davis;
• School Board District 3: Becky Bracke; and,
• School Board District 5: Rothel Moody
• Mayor: Robert Williamson and Danny Franklin;
• District 1: Hazel Lee and Connie Sue Buckley;
• District 2: Marvin Williford;
• District 3: Debra Inabinett;
• District 4: Jimmy Waldrop and Pat Carmichal; and,
• District 5: Gloria Cassady.
• Mayor: Eugene Birge;
• Place 1: Eloise Judson;
• Place 2: Vacant;
• Place 3: Marsha Phillips;
• Place 4: William Hall; and,
• Place 5: William Phillips Jr.
In Red Level:
• Mayor: Mike Purnell, Willie J. Hendrix and Deborah Hoffman;
• Place 1: Dorthy West;
• Place 2: Kenneth Reynolds;
• Place 3: Karol Rodberg and Wayne Mitchell;
• Place 4: Rita Leech Nearor; and,
• Place 5: Bridget Wilkinson, Shawn Chambers and Gail Lee.
• Mayor: Missy Grissett, Tammy Cain and Connie Cauthen;
• Place 1: Willie Byrd;
• Place 2: Chris Gantt and Joe Riley;
• Place 3: Lillie Ruth Bonham;
• Place 4: Jerry Kelley and Lyndsey Lankford; and,
• Place 5: Glenda Winters.
• Mayor: Chris Thomasson;
• Town council: Vaughn Bowers, Charles Henley, Tony Wells and Jim Mooney.
In River Falls:
• Mayor: Mary Hixon and Patricia Gunter;
• Place 1: Loy Ray Morgan;
• Place 2: Leo G. Smith and James Gary Wages;
• Place 3: Hamner Curry and Kathy Thomasson;
• Place 4: Mattie Freeney, Willie Howard Jr. and Cleveland Harris Jr.; and,
• Place 5: Olean Bean and Richard Bowden.
• Mayor: Karen Davis, Ann Holland and William Hester;
• District 1: Cynthia Doss, Marquita Davis, Emma Jane Ellison and Robert Thomas; and,
• District 2: Roger Moody, Carlos “Buddy” Dean, Bobby Sims, Linda Hutto and Chelsea Hester.