Resources are available to help with addictionsPublished 12:00am Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Almost everyone knows someone who has been impacted by substance abuse.
As we come to the end of recovery month, we join local service providers in reminding those impacted by addiction that recovery is possible.
Locally, there are a number of groups and programs that help.
South Central Alabama Mental Health provides counseling services in outpatient therapy; after care and through an in-house, residential program. Call (334) 222-2525.
Crossover Ministries also provides residential help for addictions that includes four months of residential treatment plus four months of aftercare. The ministry provides a working and study environment; participation in daily Bible studies and classes about scriptural principles for overcoming addiction. For help, call (334) 493-1030.
In addition, there are a number of self-help groups that offer assistance to those struggling with addiction, including:
• 12-step recovery meeting, every Tuesday, 7 p.m., at Andalusia Bible Church. Call 222-3072.
• Alcoholics Anonymous
–Noon, Thursdays at First Presbyterian Church, 223 S. Three Notch, Andalusia. Call 488-3776 or 973-851-2325.
– 7 p.m., every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 417 South Three Notch Street behind the Christian Service Center. Call 493-3510.
– 7 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, 1307 East Three Notch St. Call 881-0733.
– 6 p.m., Saturdays, at 417 S. Three Notch St. behind the Christian Service Center. Call 493-3510.
• Narcotics Anonymous meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday, and at noon on Thursday, behind the Andalusia Barber Shop.
• A.R.I.S.E. — Addiction Recovery in Spiritual Excellence meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday in the fellowship hall at First Baptist Church of Gantt.
Perhaps as important as any program for those who are addicted is the support group for the families of alcoholics and addicts. Al-Anon meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday in the Dixon Room at the Andalusia Public Library. Call 222-0123.