New day, new chief in OppPublished 1:09am Tuesday, November 6, 2012
District Judge Tirppy McGuire last night swore in a completely new administration in Opp, and the group quickly named a new police chief and school board member.
A large crowd was in attendance in support of Mayor John Bartho-lomew and council members Bobby Owens, T.D. Morgan, Mike Booth, Mary Brundidge and Arlin Davis.
The new mayor and council quickly got to work making appointments, including naming a replacement for retiring Police Chief Nickey Carnley. Appointments included:
• Police Chief: Mike McDonald;
• Assistant Police Chief: Kevin Chance;
• Fire Chief: Joey Williams;
• City prosecutor: Larry Grissett;
• City clerk: Connie Smith;
• City attorney: Julie Moody
• Public defender: Bart Boothe;
• City auditors: Carr, Riggs & Ingram;
• Planning board commission: Bartholomew;
• City Treasurer: Booth;
• Utility board: Bartholomew, Joe Richburg and Ernie DePrinzio;
• City Chaplin: Davis;
• City Finance committee: Bartholomew;
• Leisure services: Owens and Davis;
• Building/grounds: Bartholomew;
• DRA: Davis, Booth and Tommie Norris;
• Parks and Recreation director: Josh Kyser;
• Street and Sanitation director: Gary Frazier;
• District 1 school board member: Alan Thrash;
• Councilman pro-tem: Davis
An emotional Bartholomew thanked all present for their support.
“Thank you for coming,” he said. “Thank you for your support. This has been an emotional time.”
In other business, the council:
• voted to continue operating under the FY 2012 budget, until Bartholomew and the council can pass a FY 2013 budget;
• approved a application for an off premises beer license transfer from Jerry Qualls of Bryan Grocery to Judd Bowers and Scotty Scofield of Opp Stop LLC.