Karate students win awards at workouts, banquetPublished 12:00am Thursday, February 7, 2013
Several Andalusia Isshinryu Karate students attended the USYKA Winter Workout and Banquet on Feb. 2, at the Holiday Inn Resort in Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.
The students met with instructors and other students from karate schools from across Alabama to work out, compete in a self defense competition and attend the banquet to recognize the top competitors from last year’s competition year.
Andalusia competitors participated in the self defense competition based on belt level and age.
The students placed as follows:
• Allen Butler — first place, black belt;
• Tyler Martin — first place, green belt;
• Mack McIntyre — first place, yellow belt;
• Rexanne Butler — fourth place, black belt;
• Kristen Kelley — second place, green belt;
• Taj Patel — fourth place, brown belt;
• Dalton Spears — second place, green belt; and
• Gabe Williamson — third place, yellow belt.
Tyler Martin finished in first place for the 2011 competition year in the youth green belt division at the awards banquet. Additionally, Martin received the “200 Club” award for achieving more than 200 points in the 2011 rankings.
Paulk Smith finished fifth in the junior yellow belt division; Cheyenne Dugger finished fifth in the youth brown belt division; Marie Josey finished fourth and Rexanne Butler finished sixth in the junior black belt division; and Allen Butler finished fifth in the youth black belt division.