Hogg descendants contributed much public service to Covington CountyPublished 12:00am Saturday, February 9, 2013
During the 1990s, Wyley D. Ward, widely known local historian, wrote and published in the Andalusia Star-News a series of columns, which featured the early political leaders of Covington County and their influence on the development of the area. Beginning with the Sat., May 3, 1997, issue, he offered weekly writings on Holland M. Hogg and family, whom he saw as “some of the early prolific leaders in the county who had a greater, longer lasting impact on the development of the area.”
Today’s narrative will be a summary of Ward’s research and writings related to the Hogg family with a bit of earlier genealogy made available by Ancestry.com. The early Hogg ancestors who brought the family to America are reported to be James Hogg and his son, James V. Hogg, possibly a junior. James Hogg was born in 1740 in Belfast, Atrim, Ireland, and he later was married to Chloe H. Puckett who was born in 1740 in Ireland as well. When James was 32 years old, they arrived in Georgia and settled in Hancock County where he died in 1790 and she, in 1800.
The son, James V. Hogg, appears to have been born in 1760 in Ireland. Records indicate he was married to Chloe Middleton (1765-1815), who was a native of Georgia. They lived out their lives in Georgia and were buried there. They had at least two sons: John Hogg (1776-1862); and Holland Middleton Hogg (1784-1844). Holland M. and his descendants will be reviewed in this writing. He is reported to have been born in the Cherokee Nation East, N.C., and to have first married circa 1805 Mary “Polly” Mixon (1780s-1860), who was born and died in Georgia. The name of his second suggested wife is not known.
The 1808 Census of Washington County, Mississippi Territory, lists three Hogg households: James, John and Holland. At that time, Holland had a wife and two young daughters with him. In 1816, he and his wife with four children were residing in Amite County, Mississippi Territory. Circa 1819, the family moved to Spanish West Florida and settled in the area that later became Escambia County. Circa 1822, they moved to Covington County and settled in the Conecuh River community. In 1825, he served as a constable for Beat One, and he was elected as a justice of the peace for the same in 1840.
In 1836, Holland M. Hogg purchased 80 acres of land, which were located near the present Conecuh River Baptist Church. During the 1840s, he moved his family to a site about one mile northeast of the Town of Andalusia. In 1851, he purchased 40 acres, which adjoined the present North Bypass in Andalusia. In 1855-1856, he bought 40 acres of land near the headwaters of Five Run Creek and probably moved there. During the late 1850s, Holland moved to Walton County, Fla., along with his son-in-law, Charles Stanley. In the 1860 census, he and wife with youngest son were living next door to the Stanleys, and Holland was listed as a woodchopper at 76 years of age. He likely returned to Covington County with the Stanleys soon after the outbreak of the War Between the States. He died in 1866, and she, soon afterwards, but their burial sites are unknown.
The known children of Holland M. and Mary Hogg include the following: Rebecca, b. 1807, d. 1855, m. Eli Ward; Evelina, b. 1808, d. 1890, m. James Ward; Stephen Mixon, b. 1813, d. 1856, m. (1) Achsah Jones (2) Rebecca ?; Cloe Ann, b. 1815, d. 1900, m. William Ramer; Mary Elizabeth, b. 1818, d. 1870; m. Bennett B. Bass; Mary M., b. 1821, d. 1900, m. Charles A. Stanley; James M., b. 1823, d. 1878, m. Julia A. Dunn; Holland M. Jr., b. 1826, d. 1881, m. Emerintha Carter; Benjamin Joseph, b. 1830, d. 1910, m. (1) Elizabeth Dunn (2) Martha ?; and William C., b. ca 1833, d. during W.B.T.S., m. Patience Clark.
The oldest daughter, Rebecca Hogg, was married to Eli Ward, son of ? and Nancy Ward, who was born circa 1797 in South Carolina. Eli also became a community leader. In 1827, he was appointed justice of the peace for Beat Two, and he was again elected for this office in 1835. In the 1830 federal census, he was head of a household with his wife, a daughter, a son, and an older female. Before his death in 1836, they had three children: Matilda, b. 1828, d. 1904, m. Thomas D.A. Burgin; Henry L., b. ca 1830, m. Caroline Turner; and Holland D., b. ca 1835. As a widow, Rebecca moved back into the home of her father, Holland M. Hogg, where she resided until her death, which was probably in the 1840s or 1850s.
Matilda and Thomas D.A. Burgin moved to Wood County, Texas, where they reared a family of 10 children. Henry L. Ward and Caroline reared nine children in Covington County. In 1857, he purchased 40 acres of land in the area of present day Heath. In 1863, he was conscripted to enlist into Captain Brown’s Company of Confederate Cavalry. After the war, he was paroled in 1865 and returned to his home. In 1870, he moved his family to Pike County where he was residing in 1880. Holland D. Ward purchased 120 acres of land circa 1860 near his brother, Henry. He remained single and enlisted in Company I, 25th Alabama Infantry Regiment, CSA. He died of liver disease in 1862 near Mobile.
Holland H. Hogg’s second daughter, Evelina, was married circa 1824 to James Ward, younger brother of Eli Ward. James was born circa 1800 and during the early 1820s moved with his mother and brother to Covington County. In 1837, he purchased 40 acres of land near the “Dead River,” which was located a little over a mile northeast of Conecuh River Baptist Church. They lived there for a few years until moving to the new site of Andalusia during the early 1840s. In 1844, he was elected justice of peace for Beat One, an office he held until 1853. In 1855, he was again appointed to the same office. He farmed some and may have operated a gristmill or sawmill. After the war, he moved to a location in Rose Hill where he operated a sawmill in 1870. In 1871 he returned to Andalusia and was again elected justice of the peace. In 1880, James and Evelina were residing in the home of their son, James N. Ward, in Andalusia. He died in 1880s and she, in 1890, but their burial sites are not known.
James and Evelina (Hogg) Ward reared the following children: Mary J., b. 1827, m. John J. Jones, son of Josiah Jones who became County Court Judge of Covington County; Lorenzo Dow, b. 1830, m. Emily Adeline ?; Elizabeth, b. ca 1832, m. Jonathon J. Turner; Martha L., b. 1834, m. Andrew Jackson Fletcher; Eli J., b. 1837, d. 1905, m. Samantha Jane (Stokes) Williams, a widow; James Newton, b. 1839, m. Beuna Vesta Snowden; Rebecca, b. 1841, m. James Wadsworth Davis; Josephine M., b. 1843, m. John W. Penton; and an unidentified child. These children married into several of the most influential early families of Covington County. They were truly some of the public servants who contributed much to the development of Covington County.
The review of the additional children of Holland M. Hogg should appear in next week’s column.
As reported earlier, the sources of this writing include columns written by Wyley D. Ward for the Andalusia Star-News and Ancestry.com. Appreciation is expressed to him for his extensive research and sharing it with the public.
Anyone who might have additional data on the Hogg family is requested to contact this writer, Curtis Thomasson, at 20357 Blake Pruitt Road, Andalusia, AL 36420; 334-222-6467; or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.