Plenty of Relay for Life events upcomingPublished 12:05am Thursday, February 21, 2013
The local Relay for Life fundraising season is full swing and opportunities to help the cause abound, said Chairman Larry Brown/
Relay for Life is an organized, overnight community American Cancer Society fundraising walk designed to serve as a culmination of months of fundraising to fight against cancer.
Currently, there are 17 teams registered to participate in this year’s “Playing for a Cure” themed event, which will be held on April 26 at the Kiwanis Center fairgrounds.
Brown said teams hold fundraisers to help meet the $105,000 fundraising goal.
“There’s still time for teams to register, as well as opportunities for individuals to participate by helping with fundraisers,” Brown said.
Upcoming events include:
• City of Andalusia Barbecue sack lunch on March 1 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Deadline for ticket orders is Friday. Cost is $5 for a sandwich, chips, drink and cookie. Tickets are on sale at the Adult Activity Center. Delivery of tickets and food is available to businesses or organizations with 10 or more orders.
• Andalusia Hospital’s masquerade ball on Saturday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Springdale. Tickets are reduced to $20 per person. Goers will enjoy a live band, silent auction and hors d’oeuvres. A photographer will be on hand to capture the night’s look. Cocktail hour is from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Masks required and will be available at the door for purchase.
Tickets are available at ARH emergency department or at Sherwin Williams. Semi-formal dress preferred. One must be 21 or older to attend. For more information, please contact Amy Herrington at 222-6953.
• City of Andalusia’s karaoke contest on Sat., March 9, at 1 p.m. at the Adult Activity Center, for those age 12-19 and 20 and up. Registration will be held from 10 a.m. until noon. Cost is $15, which is non-refundable. All contestants should arrive by 12:45 p.m. First place winners will earn a spot to perform at the Rattlesnake Rodeo in Opp. Admission is $2.
To be eligible, contestants must have never performed for money, must select appropriate songs with no vulgarity in words or actions, and bring CDG (if you want the words to show) or CD/tape if no words are needed. Contestants must have two songs picked out in the event of a tie. The following areas will be judged: song, vocal ability, presentation and audience response. Prizes depend upon number of participants. Call 222-6891 for additional information.
• Relay for Life beauty pageant on March 16 at the LBW Community College Dixon Center. Applications are available at WAAO, Cadence Bank, P&J Formals, Upsy Daisy and CEC.
• Southeast Alabama Gas District bass tournament on March 23 at Pt. A Park. Cost $90 per boat; $10 optional big fish per boat. For more information, contact Randy Castleberry at 488-4238 or Reba Gantt at 488-0543.