County schools pass 2013-14 academic calendarPublished 12:03am Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Covington County Schools students will attend school 178 days next school year, officials said Tuesday.
The board passed the calendar, which features an Aug. 19 school start date.
The first semester will include 85 days, while the second semester will include 95 days.
Students will receive the follow holidays:
• Sept. 2 – Labor Day;
• Oct. 16 – Half day for parent-teacher conferences;
• Nov. 11 – Veterans Day;
• Nov. 27-29 – Thanksgiving holidays;
• Dec. 23-Jan. 3 – Christmas holidays;
• Jan. 20 – King/Lee holiday;
• Feb. 21, Half day for students; Professional development day for teachers;
• March 24-28 – Spring break;
School will dismiss May 22.
Superintendent Terry Holley said teachers and staff were presented two options for the school calendar, and this was the preferred calendar.
“We are in line with Andalusia and Opp, which is what our teachers requested,” he said. “We have some teachers who have students in the other systems and this allows them to share holidays with them.”
Teachers will work 187 days, while 12-month personnel will work 242 days.