Opp man wanted for cutting anotherPublished 12:00am Thursday, June 13, 2013
Opp police are searching for a man believed to have severely cut another with a box cutter Saturday.
Assistant Police Chief Kevin Chance said Wednesday officers have been looking for 33-year-old Nicholas Cornelius Hines, who will face a first-degree assault charge after the weekend incident.
“What we know is that between 11 p.m. and 11:10 p.m. that night, officers were dispatched to Hardin Street in reference to a cut with a box cutter,” Chance said. “While officers were en route, they were notified that the victim – a 27-year-old black male – had been taken to Mizell Memorial Hospital by personal vehicle.
“Once at the hospital, officers found that the victim had suffered a very serious injury that began from the left side of his chest all the way to his waist line,” Chance said. “He also had a second cut on the back of left thigh.”
Chance said he believed the victim not only required surgery to repair the cut, but he also required a hospital stay.
Chance said Hines is believed to be in the Opp area; however, officers will continue to actively follow any leads on his whereabouts.
Those with information about the incident or Hines’ location are asked to contact the OPD at 334-493-4511.