At least one person was injured Friday in a one-vehicle crash on Ala. Hwy. 55 South around 11 a.m. Here, emergency personnel work at the scene in the rain.
At least one person was injured Friday in a one-vehicle crash on Ala. Hwy. 55 South around 11 a.m. Here, emergency personnel work at the scene in the rain.

Wet weather to continue

Published 12:01am Saturday, July 6, 2013

The rain that’s plagued the area for days shows no signs of letting up and leaves the county under a flash flood watch until Sunday morning and a flood warning until Monday.

This morning will bring with it a 70 percent chance of thunderstorms. That chance will decrease by night to 40 percent. More rain is expected Sunday morning with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms. Monday and Tuesday each will arrive with a 40 percent chance of rain.

The National Weather Service reports the potential for locally heavy rainfall and potential flooding exists for the entire weekend. Additionally, the stronger storms will be capable of producing frequent lightning and strong gusty winds.

“Since the end of June, the county has received inches of rain,” said Susan Harris, county emergency management agency director. “Combine that with this plume of deep tropical moisture that’s moving through, and it means more rain – predictions are saying between 2 and 5 inches. That could result in flash flooding, especially in locations where the ground is already saturated from recent heavy rains.”

Harris said localized areas could receive double those amounts.

There is a flood warning in effect for the Blackwater River, which feeds into Covington County. Harris said recent heavy rains have caused a significant rise along the rivers, but there’s no flooding at this time.

Editor's Picks