Stingrays finish strong at statePublished 12:01am Tuesday, July 30, 2013
The more than 100 miles swam this summer by the Andalusia Stingrays paid off in Cullman at the 2013 ARPA State Swim Meet.
Andalusia finished in seventh place out of 14 teams in the small city division and 13th overall out of 25 teams after the meet wrapped Saturday afternoon at the Cullman Wellness and Aquatic Center.
“This has been a great group of kids to work with this summer,” Stingrays coach Gavin Donaldson said. “The 100 plus miles they have swam in practice from May to July shows that it paid off with a two-day total of 11 ribbons and eight medals.”
Swimmers who finished first through sixth receive a medal. Those who finish in seventh or eighth place receive a ribbon.
Results from the second day of the meet are below. Places swimmers finished are listed in parentheses.
• Boys 8U 25-yard butterfly — Aidan Vines (9th place), 20.38 seconds
• Girls 9-10 50-yard butterfly — Ava Bailey (10th place), 37.67 seconds
• Girls 11-12 50-yard butterfly — Emma Younce (7th place), 30.65 seconds; won ribbon
• Girls 13-14 50-yard butterfly — Cali Fillmer (4th place), 28.67 second; won medal
• Girls 9-10 50-yard backstroke — Evie Younce (10th place), 40.99 seconds
• Boys 11-12 50-yard backstroke — Stuart Baker (10th place), 34.98 seconds
• Girls 11-12 50-yard backstroke — Emma Younce (5th place), 32.57 seconds; won medal
• Girls 13-14 50-yard backstroke — Mary Beth Baker (5th place), 31.02 seconds; won medal
• Boys 8U 50-yard freestyle — Zack Gayford (6th place), 40.73; won medal
• Boys 9-10 100-yard freestyle — Alex Browing (13th place), 1 minute, 23.17 seconds
• Girls 13-14 100-yard freestyle — Cali Fillmer (13th place), 1:00.22
• Boys 15-18 100-yard freestyle — BJ Donaldson (7th place), 51.88 seconds; won ribbon
The relay teams that place in the top 15 are listed below.
• Boys 8U 100-yard medley relay — Josh Riley (backstroke), Zack Gayford (breaststroke) and Aidan Vines (butterfly) (9th place), 1:40.91
• Girls 9-10 200-yard medley relay — Evie Younce (backstroke), Anna Taylor (breaststroke), Ava Bailey (butterfly) and Mila Parker (freestyle) (9th place), 2:50.31
• Boys 13-14 200-yard medley relay — Ethan Gobea (backstroke), Josh Hudson (breaststroke), Brandon Hudson (butterfly) and Wyatt Taylor (freestyle) (10th place), 2:18.24
• Girls 13-14 medley relay — Mary Beth Baker (backstroke), Elisabeth Younce (breaststroke), Cali Fillmer (butterfly) and Katrine Christensen (freestyle) (12th place), 2:17.06
• Girls 15-18 medley relay — Mary Johnson (backstroke), Elisabeth Christensen (breaststroke), Kaden Arnold (butterfly) and Judy Johnson (freestyle) (13th place), 2:30.63
• Boys 8U 100-yard freestyle relay — Tyler Browning, Aidan Vines, Josh Riley and Zack Gayford (6th place, won ribbon), 1:18.42
• Girls 9-10 200-yard freestyle relay — Mila Parker, Grace Philpott, Evie Younce and Ava Bailey (7th place, won ribbon), 2:21.90
• Boys 13-14 200-yard freestyle relay — Ethan Gobea, Wyatt Taylor, Josh Hudson and Brandon Hudson (12th place, only third group in team history to finish below two minutes in relay), 1:58.83
• Girls 13-14 200-yard freestyle relay — Cali Fillmer, Elisabeth Younce, Katrine Christensen and Mary Beth Baker (12th place), 2:02.05
• Girls 15-18 200-yard freestyle relay — Mary Johnson, Elisabeth Christensen, Judy Johnson and Kaden Arnold (14th place), 2:13.05