Year’s first court docket fullPublished 12:00am Friday, January 10, 2014
The four suspects indicted last month in the nearly-20-year-old murder case of James “Nibby” Barton are scheduled to be assigned legal counsel during the first court term of 2014, beginning Mon., Jan. 27.
Eugene W. Black, Sheila Ellisor Brooks, Sheila Williams and Sandra Lynn all face murder charges in connection with the killing. Barton was found inside a store he owned and operated, dead from a single gunshot wound to the chest on May 2, 1994.
Also scheduled for this month’s court term are 12 criminal cases set to be tried before Circuit Judge Charles Short. Among them are two Covington County men facing attempted murder charges.
John David Hughes faces charges of attempted murder, burglary and reckless endangerment for allegedly breaking into his former girlfriend’s Red Oak home in May of 2012 and shooting her then-boyfriend, David Reynolds.
Arthur Dwight Lucal is also facing an attempted murder charge, as well as a charge for failing to register as a felon after allegedly shooting Sidney Ray in June of 2012, before leading authorities on a six-hour manhunt.
Appearing before Circuit Judge Ashley McKathan during this court term will be 10 criminal cases, including a Dozier man accused of sexual abuse of a minor.
Jeremy Donnie Sorrells faces charges of sexual abuse I, furnishing alcohol to a minor and enticing a child for immoral purposes in relation to a 2010 incident.
Scheduled before McKathan this month are also two retrials.
Russell Sterling Griggs will appear in court for the second time on charges of rape and sexual abuse of a child, after his first trial resulted in a hung jury.
Houston Kervin will be tried for the fourth time on charges of domestic violence, strangulation.
In addition to a host of drug-related cases, judges, and possibly jurors, could also hear cases against:
• Jeffery Earl Aplin for sodomy I and sexual abuse I.
• Donar Lafayette Strickland for sexual abuse II and rape II.
• Robert Craig Morgan for sexual abuse II and sodomy II.
• Russell Darrel Worley for rape I.
• Danny Ray Riley for sexual abuse of a child under 12 and sodomy I.
• Tony Lee Wilkerson for kidnapping I, domestic violence II and unauthorized use of a vehicle.
• James Melvin Parson for sex abuse I, sodomy I and sex abuse of a child under 12.
• Bobby Joe Lee for rape I and robbery I.
• Kenyatta K. Hudson for assault II, reckless endangerment, assault and DUI.