Opp City Council: many activities upcoming in townPublished 12:00am Tuesday, April 8, 2014
The Opp City Council on Monday reminded citizens of several upcoming events, including the annual Rattlesnake Rodeo, a free tire-disposal event and a paving project slated to begin tomorrow.
Opp Mayor John Bartholomew reminded residents of this weekend’s annual Rattlesnake Rodeo, which will be held Saturday and Sunday and is expected to draw approximately 10,000 people to town per day.
Bartholomew also reminded residents of a free opportunity to dispose of tires beginning Thurs., April 10 and ending Thurs., April 24 at Ashberry Landfill.
Bartholomew also said a paving project on Covington Ave. will begin today and is projected to last approximately one month.
In other business, the council:
• Heard from resident Ashley Dean about the possibility of re-zoning areas of the city to allow for the presence of livestock;
• approved Resolution 2014-21 to declare a tent surplus on property located in the City of Opp Industrial Park;
• approved the mayor to begin accepting bids for a new city garbage truck;
• approved extending the city’s current rental agreement with the Opp Cultural Arts Center.
• appointed Tom Albritton as the new attorney for the City of Opp;
• rejected a request that a median be removed from the Dogwood Acres neighborhood.