9 qualify for local primary
With a little more than a week left in qualifying, nine people have qualified for the March 1 Republican primary, chairman William Blocker said. There are only two races in which more than one person has qualified.
• For Covington County Board of Education place 3, Jeff Bailey qualified on Oct. 9;
• For Covington County Board of Education place 4, Linda Powell qualified on Oct. 15;
• For Covington County Commission Chairman, Greg White qualified on Oct. 5;
• For Covington County Commission Chairman, Bill Godwin qualified on Oct. 9;
• For District 1 Commissioner, Kenneth Northey qualified on Oct. 7;
• For District 2 Commissioner, Joe Barton qualified on Oct. 26;
• For District 3 Commissioner, Tony Holmes qualified on Oct. 15;
• For District 4 Commissioner, Kylan Lewis qualified on Oct. 12; and
• For District 4 Commissioner, Allen Lucas qualified on Oct. 16.
Offices up for election are:
• Board of Education places 3 and 4. Fees are $100;
• All four commission seats. Fees are $450;
• Commission chairman. Fees are $600;
Also on the ballot are district attorney; district judge and circuit judge. Candidates are required to qualify with the state party.
Walter Merrell has qualified for district attorney.