Train’s a go; sponsorship opportunities available
The train will be a part of this year’s expanded Candyland activities on the Court Square and at Springdale during Christmas. The city is partnering with the Andalusia Area Chamber of Commerce for the quality of life event. Andalusia Mayor Earl Johnson told council members this past week that he and Councilman Kennith Mount, along with Chamber personnel, travelled to Georgia to see the train before making a purchase. Councilman Mount explained that the manufacturers Take a Cub Cadet hydrostatic drive lawnmower, remove the frame, and build a train frame out of quality steel.
“It looks just like a train,” Mount said. Johnson said he has been lining up partnerships, and has secured private funding for the three cars and the caboose, as well as half of the engine. The caboose is ADA compliant and can accommodate wheelchairs, he said. Johnson said the train will be stored at Springdale and can be made available for other events. “I see a huge demand for this thing,” he said.
He said the company manufactures about 40 each year. Each car will hold five or six children, he said. Meanwhile, there are four $2,500 sponsorships available for the engine, and a number of sponsorship opportunities for other Candyland events.
• SNOW SHOW – set every weekend in December. Sponsorship includes signage on the Court Square, and is $550 per weekend, or $2,000 for all four/
• MERRY MOVIE ON THE SPRINGDALE LAWN – set for Fridays, Dec. 4, 11, and 18. Sponsorship includes signage on the lawn, and is $350 per movie or $1,000 for all three.
• HOT COCOA AND CHARACTERS Meredith’s Miracles, set for Sat., Dec. 12. Sponsorship is $300 and includes banner on Court Square during event
• ICE RINK SNOWFLAKES – 14-inch, snowflake-shaped signs with logo on ice rink. $150
• CANDYLAND CANDY – 24-inch Candy-shaped signs with logo on Court Square. $150 For more information, contact the Chamber at 334-222-2030.