Saints remain unbeaten

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The LBWCC Saints’ (7-0) baseball team continued their hot start to the season by sweeping the Huntingdon College Hawks junior varsity squad on Monday in Montgomery.

LBWCC 10, HC 0

In the opening game of the series, the Saints needed just five innings to top the Hawks 10-0.

Ko Powell reached second base on a one-out error before Matthew Christian ripped a double to left field that scored Powell with ease.

The Saints then loaded the bases when Gunner Hendrix drew a walk and Matthew Jones was hit by a pitch.

Chauncey Callier made the free passes haunt the Hawks as he laced triple to centerfield that cleared all the ducks off the pond.

One batter later, the Saints took advantage of another Hawk error when Tyler Sharp put a charge into a ball that was misplayed by the Huntingdon shortstop. The error allowed Callier to come around to score to give the Saints a 5-0 lead after a half inning of play.

Austin Fain got things rolling on the mound for the Saints with a quick strikeout to start the bottom of the first inning.

After walking the next batter, Fain got back-to-back outs to end the inning.

Fain gave up a one-out double in the bottom of the second inning, but battled back with two straight strikeouts to end the threat.

The Saints added to their lead in the top of the fourth inning when McMillian drove in Harrison Morris with a single. Morris reached on one-out triple.

In the top of the fourth, a double from Hendrix scored Christian.

Callier followed with a triple that plated Hendrix and then a double from Sharpe brought in Callier to score.

The final run of the game came when Micah McCaskill drove in Jackson Henderson with a sacrifice fly.

Callier led the way at the plate for the Saints going 2-for-2 with one walk, two runs scored and four RBIs.

Sharp drove in two runs in the Saints’ victory.

On the mound, Fain picked up the win after going four innings, giving up no runs and striking out four batters.


The Saints remained undefeated after holding off the Hawks for a 3-2 win in the series’ final game.

The Hawks took the lead in the bottom of the first inning after an error, single and sacrifice fly led to one run for the home team.

In the top of the third inning, the Saints struck back when Morris reached on a line-drive single to first base.

A balk and then an error from the Hawks’ pitcher moved Morris 90 feet away from knotting up the game. Morris then made a break for the plate on wild pitch and tied the game 1-1.

Casey Henderson led off the top of the fourth inning with a walk and moved around to third on an error and a wild pitch.

Christian followed with a single to center that allowed Henderson to score the go-ahead run.

The Saints’ final run of the game came two batters later when Callier drove in Christian with a sacrifice fly to leftfield.

Chapman Dean got the win for the Saints, going three innings, allowing one run and striking out three batters.

The Saints will be back at home on Friday and Saturday with contests against Calhoun Community College and Lawson State. On Friday, the Saints will take on Calhoun at 2:30 p..m. On Saturday, the Saints will take on Calhoun at 9:30 a.m., and Lawson State at 4:30 p.m.