Commission approves change in jail contract with city
Published 7:30 am Thursday, January 26, 2023
The Covington County Commission made a revision to a previous contract with the Sheriff’s Department and also approved a sponsorship at the upcoming Chamber banquet at a regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday, Jan. 24.
The commission previously approved entering into a contract with the municipalities of Andalusia, Opp, Red Level, River Falls, and Sanford for trash pickup and inmate services, as well as costs related to work release inmates.
“The jail administrator contacted me and requested to change the amount in the City of Andalusia’s agreement. He asked to change it to $25 an hour instead of the lump sum of $50,000,” Administrator Karen Sowell said. “This amount may be more or could be less at the end of the year,” Chairman Greg White added.
The commission approved the purchase of a $2000 sponsorship (Platinum Level package) at the upcoming Andalusia Area Chamber of Commerce Banquet on Thursday, Feb. 9.
“In years past, the commission has been a $1000 sponsor (Gold Level package). We have had a great relationship with the Chamber this year and need to show our support for their endeavors,” Sowell said.
In other business:
- The commission approved the purchase of upgrades to the sound system and wireless microphones for use at the Covington Arena.
- The commission approved the proposal from Parker Metal Company in Andalusia to add an awning on the exterior of the emergency operating center. The cost for the project is $39,700 and will take approximately 60 to 90 days for completion.
- The commission approved the change of an amendment for Sheriff Blake Turman to present non-uniformed deputies with a lump sum for a clothing allowance. Previously, the Sheriff used discretionary funds and a credit card for these purchases.
- The commission awarded a bid for heavy equipment parts to Covington Heavy Duty Parts on a one-year contract with an option of renewal for three additional one-year periods.
- The commission awarded a bid for a heavy-duty work truck cab and chassis to Larry Puckett Chevrolet at an approximate cost of $60,638.
- The commission awarded a bid for precast concrete bridge components to Conecuh Bridge.
- The commission approved the solicitation of bids for seed and fertilizer to be used by the County Engineer’s department.
- The commission approved the surplus of six vehicles by the Engineer’s department to be auctioned through GovDeals.
- The commission approved the purchase of a dump truck for the Engineer’s department.
- The commission approved the solicitation of bids for a new drag and tractor to be used for the Covington Arena.
The next meeting of the Covington County Commission will be held Tuesday, Feb. 14, 9 a.m., at the Covington County Administration Building. The public is invited to attend.