Stingrays bring home the medalsPublished 12:01am Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Andalusia’s swim team did something it hasn’t done in the last 10 years at the Alabama Recreation and Parks Association’s state swim meet at Opelika over the weekend, Stingrays coach Gavin Donaldson said.
The Stingrays brought home nine medals, 13 ribbons, 21 personal best times and nine all-time team broken records.
“ASL was very well represented by 31 swimmers who participated in the state meet,” Donaldson said. “This group produced more medals and ribbons than the previous teams in the 10 years I have been on deck.”
Swimmers competing in individual events receive medals for finishing first through sixth place; and ribbons for finishing in seventh and eighth place. Relay teams receive medals for first through third place; and ribbons for fourth through eighth place.
The following Stingrays received medals for individual events:
• Alex Browning, boy’s 8 and under 25-yard breaststroke in 23.54 seconds, sixth place
• B.J. Donaldson, men’s 15-18 50-yard breaststroke in 30.22 seconds, fourth place
• Evie Younce, girl’s 8U 25-yard backstroke in 21.30 seconds, fifth place
• Stuart Baker, boy’s 50-yard backstroke in 38.34 seconds, fourth place
• Emma Younce, girl’s 9-10 50-yard backstroke in 37.91 seconds, sixth place
• Aidan Vines, Josh Riley, Zach Gayford and Alex Browning, boy’s 8U 100-yard freestyle relay in 1 minute, 18.15 seconds, third place
The following Stingrays received ribbons:
• Aidan Vines, boy’s 8U 25-yard freestyle in 17.42 seconds, seventh place
• Daniel Gacha, Alex Browning, Aidan Vines and Zach Gayford, boy’s 8U 100-yard medley relay in 1:39.94, sixth place
• Noah Rider, B.J. Donaldson, Chase Fillmer and Michael Hudson, men’s 15-18 200-yard medley relay in 1:54.55, eighth place
• Michael Hudson, Chase Fillmer, Noah Rider and B.J. Donaldson, men’s 15-18 200-yard freestyle relay in 1:41.92, sixth place
The all-time team records were broken by Cali Fillmer in the 100-yard IM (1:16.30) and 50-yard butterfly (31.48); Mary Beth Baker in the 50-yard backstroke (34.02) and the 100-yard freestyle (1:04.75); B.J. Donaldson in the 50-yard breaststroke (30.22), 50-yard freestyle (24.58) and 50-yard backstroke (28.77); Noah Rider, B.J. Donaldson, Chase Fillmer and Michael Hudson in the men’s 15-18 200-yard medley relay (1:54.55); and Michael Hudson, Chase Fillmer, Noah Rider and B.J. Donaldson in the men’s 15-18 200-yard freestyle relay (1:41.92).
The swimmers who finished 15th or better in their respective individual events are:
• Alex Browning in IM, breaststroke and long freestyle
• Stuart Baker in IM, breaststroke and backstroke
• Emma Younce in IM, freestyle and backstroke
• Jeremy Boyd in breaststroke and backstroke
• B.J. Donaldson in breaststroke, freestyle and backstroke
• Aidan Vines in breaststroke, freestyle and butterfly
• Evie Younce in freestyle and backstroke
• Cameron Woodard in freestyle
• Josh Riley in backstroke
• Laura Lea Blatz in backstroke
• Mary Beth Baker in backstroke and long freestyle
• Mary Johnson in backstroke
• Kaden Arnold in long freestyle
• Michael Hudson in long freestyle.