Hardee’s survives grease fire

Published 6:12pm Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Florala residents did not have to go without their morning biscuits for a bit after a grease fire temporarily shut down the Hardee’s restaurant Tuesday night.

Emergency personnel were called to fast-food chain on Fifth Avenue sometime around 10:30 p.m.

Some 17 members of the Florala Fire Department responded to the blaze and found heavy smoke emitting from all doors, eaves and grease trap on the roof. The group was soon assisted by members of the Lockhart Fire Department.

A thermal imaging camera found that the grease trap was actively burning between the roof and the ceiling, reports indicate.

“A special thanks needs to be said to Walter Inabinett and the Florala Police officers on duty (last night),” said Fire Chief Keith Martin. “Mr. Inabinett, a former longtime FFD member, was passing by Hardee’s and saw the smoke. He utilized a fire extinguisher and knocked down a majority of the fire prior our arrival.”

Martin said Inabinett was assisted by FPD officers until fire units arrived.

The building sustained minimal damage and was reopened Wednesday morning.

Editor's Picks