Karate students win awards at beach workoutPublished 12:01am Thursday, February 20, 2014
Nineteen members of Andalusia Isshinryu Karate attended the USYKA Winter Workout and Banquet on Feb. 1 at the Wyndam Gardens Resort in Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.
While there, they met with instructors and students from other karate schools from across Alabama to work out, compete in self-defense competition and attend a banquet to recognize top competitors from last year’s competition year.
Andalusia students started the day with a beach workout and attended mini-clinics by various instructors. Then, the function moved inside to the convention center, where a self-defense competition was held.
The local students competed in a self-defense competition based on belt level and age. Students placed as follows:
• Nathanael Walker — first place, green belt
• Allen Butler — second place, black belt
• Tyler Martin — second place, green belt
• Jonathan Walker — second place, green belt
• Taj Patel — second place, brown belt
• Rexanne Butler — third place, black belt
• Landon Caldwell — third place, green belt
• Dixon Fite — fourth place, yellow belt
• Marie Josey — fourth place, black belt
• Sarah Williams — fourth place, green belt
• Abigail Walker — fourth place, green belt
• Kila Owens — fourth place, yellow belt
At the awards banquet, Andalusia students finished with the following ranking for the 2013 competition year.
Junior yellow belt division: Mack McIntyre, second place
Youth green belt division: Tyler Martin, eighth place
Junior green belt division: Dalton Spears, first place
Youth brown belt division: Taj Patel, first place
Junior black belt division: Rexanne Butler, third place
Youth black belt division: Allen Butler, first place place
Adult black belt division: Thomas Rudd, eighth place
Additionally, Allen Butler received the “200 Club” award for achieving more than 200 ranking points in 2013.
More information on the USYKA and the rankings can be found at www.yoshukai.com.