Regional softball tourney is always exciting

Published 12:00am Thursday, May 8, 2014

Pchitttt!

Pchitttt!

That’s the sound of the sun screen I’ll be applying on my pale skin this weekend as I make the trek down to Gulf Shores for the South Regional softball tournament.

According to the National Weather Service out of Mobile, the weather is supposed to be the opposite of clear and sunny.

There is a 50 percent chance of thunderstorms after 1 p.m. on Friday with a 60 percent chance of storms later that night. On Saturday, there is a 60 percent chance of storms during the day and 40 percent at night.

Those who remember last year’s tournament action will recall how all of the games got pushed back several hours because of the rain.

Tournament officials managed to fit all of the games in and the tournament ended without a hitch on the second day.

I’m hoping that we’ll have beautiful weather as five of our local teams — Andalusia, Straughn, Opp, Pleasant Home and Florala — compete for a chance to play in the state tournament next week at Lagoon Park in Montgomery.

Covering softball at this point of the season is always the most exciting for me.

I always get a kick out of watching our local teams play, because this is the time when they really step up their games and play well.

Playing well at this stage is crucial because if you lose two, then you’re going home. Your season is done.

Let’s not let that happen this weekend, because I want to be able to apply sun screen next weekend, too.

Editor's Picks