Fires damage two buildings

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, July 17, 2002

A fire which began Monday morning at a residence in Gantt caused severe damage according to Gantt Police Chief Kevin Owens.

Owens said a call regarding a fire at a residence on Bush Isle Road came in at approximately 9:16 a.m.

According to Owens, the cause of the fire is still being determined.

Owens said in order to control the flames, water was used on the house Monday night and also on Tuesday morning.

He said he would not call the house a total loss, but said with water damage, the home was severely damaged..

No one was injured in the fire.

Gantt Fire Chief David Bronner, who said the house was a double-wide trailer, said the shell of the house sustained heavy damage, and said the fire was hard to put out completely as the fire reached parts of the ceiling and the floor.

On Tuesday, a fire caused minor damage at the Covington Casket Company on North Cotton Street.

According to a spokesperson with the Andalusia Fire Department, a call came regarding

the fire at 10:03 a.m., with both engines arriving at the scene immediately afterward.

Firefighters discovered that a fire had apparently begun in a bathroom, but the spokesperson said the fire was extinguished with little problem and that some insulation had to be removed.

He said as of Tuesday morning that a final determination regarding the cause of the fire had

not been made and said there were no injuries in the blaze.