Robbery incident ends in Georgiana

Published 12:00 am Thursday, March 20, 2003

A robbery attempt which began in Andalusia Sunday morning, an attempt which also involved kidnapping, came to a conclusion in Georgiana.

According to Andalusia Police Chief Wilbur Williams Jr., between 1 a.m. and 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 16, four black males who were not residents of Andalusia went to a residence on Railroad Avenue and forced themselves in the residence at gun point and demanded cash or narcotics.

"It appears that only two of the (alleged suspects) made entry into the residence," said Williams.

Once inside the suspects allegedly accosted the victims inside the house, with those inside including a male and female, two infant children and two other adults.

Williams said the suspects allegedly threatened those inside and a male owner of the residence was also allegedly struck by a gun in the head, which caused a laceration.

A suspect then pointed the gun at the screaming infants and threatened to kill them and all of the other people inside the house.

A victim in the house then begged one of the suspects not to hurt the infants or the other adults in the house and told one of the suspects that if he would come to his residence in Georgiana, he would have access to some money there that he could give him.

He took the suspect to his residence in Georgiana, with the vehicle accompanied by the vehicle that the suspects had originally arrived at the house in Andalusia.

The victim was able to convince the suspects that he needed to go to a different room in his house so that the person in the room would not be suspicious about what activity was taking place.

He was able to knock on a door and an acquaintance came to the door. The victim and the acquaintance were able to arm themselves and they locked the door and called 911. After calling 911 they reported the robbery attempt.

Shortly afterward the suspects fled the scene of the house, according to Williams and officials with the Georgiana Police Department responded to the scene.

"Members of the Conecuh Sheriff's Department contacted our department and we were able to advise them what we were aware of," said Williams.

Later that day, two of the suspects were taken into custody by the Conecuh Sheriff's Department. They were identified as Chris Rogers, 20, and Tony Golden, 23, both of the Owassa community.

Both of the suspects are currently on probation by the Conecuh Sheriff's Department from other offenses.

Once a decision has been made on those previous offenses, they will be transferred to Covington County, where they will face charges of kidnapping in the first degree and robbery in the first degree.

A third suspect, identified as Derrick Carmichael of Evergreen, surrendered Tuesday afternoon and was charged also with robbery in the first degree and kidnapping in the first degree.

Williams said a fourth suspect was being interviewed as of Tuesday, and he was unable to give his name as of yet.

The chief said he greatly appreciates the assistance of the Georgiana Police Department and Sheriff Tracy Hawsey and the Conecuh County Sheriff's Department on the case, adding that his department has always had an excellent working relationship with both of those respective agencies.