Fire destroys Onycha home

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 3, 2004

ONYCHA - A fire Thursday completely destroyed the residence of Donald Burleson on Baker Pond Road in Onycha.

The fire, which began at approximately 2 p.m., burned all afternoon and left the Burleson family of four devastated. According to officials on scene, no one was at the residence at the time of the fire.

The fire allegedly began near a hot water heater inside the home, a firefighter reported.

"I went to pick up my children at school, and came back to find my house in flames," said Kay Burleson, with tears streaming down her cheeks in disbelief.

A firefighter with the Onycha Volunteer Fire Department said the fire was fully involved when they arrived, shortly after 2 p.m. He added the department received mutual aid from Opp Fire Department.

Opp Rescue Squad was also dispatched to the scene.

Donald Burleson's brother-in-law, Johnny Blue, said he arrived at the scene between 2 and 2:30 p.m.

"By the time I got here, the roof had fallen in," Blue said. "The fire spread quickly, and of course, the wind didn't help matters."