Tigers advance to finals

Published 12:00 am Saturday, February 12, 2005

Carroll(Ozark) won the opening tipoff.

That was the only victory they could come away with in the nightcap of the Area 3 tourney's first round. The Greenville High School Tigers, defending area champions, displayed why they won the area by racing to an 89-50 victory over their opponents. The win pushes them into Monday's Tourney final against Charles Henderson who cake-walked their opponents from Eufaula. Tipoff for that game is set for 7 p.m.

The Tigers, the No. 1 seed in the tournament lost the opening tip and found themselves quickly behind 4-2 to open the game against the No. 4 seeded Eagles.

Isiah Mack bangs his way inside and off the glass for a basket to tie the game at 4-4.

The Eagles continued to apply pressure throughout the opening period but, with under 2:00 minutes to go, the Tigers began a drive that took them from trailing, 8-6 to leading 14-11 and when the horn sounded, 16-11.

Their scoring run continued into the second period when the Tigers were able to push their three-point lead into a 10-point lead.

The Eagles were able to fight back though and cut the lead to 11 points. On a Tiger break, Gaviston Warren pulls a trick behind-the-back pass to Devoski McMeans for the basket to put them up 28-17 and then the gold-clad Tigers tacked on another basket, 30-17. By the time the horn sounded to signal the intermission, the Tigers were on top by 20, 45-25.

Things didn't get any better for the Eagles in the second half. Despite opening the third frame of action with a basket, the Tigers responded three-fold with baskets from Curtis Fields, Josh Hawkins and a three-pointer from Warrant to push the lead to 52-29.

The Eagles answered with a three of their own, 52-32 but Mack powered up with a put-back 54-32.

In one sided games, sometimes it's hard to keep emotions in check and despite the big lead, the Tigers were still called for a Tech, sending Carroll's Josh Casey to the line for four free throws, of which he sank all four. But, by the time the period ended, the Eagles once again found themselves staring at a gap of 22 points.

After all was said and don, the Tigers attempted to get 90, and with time on the clock, Greenville's Kelcius Pate was sent to the line for two free throws.

He sank one. Time ran out with the final score, Greenville 89 and Carroll(Ozark) 50.