Published 12:00 am Thursday, September 8, 2005

secondary may get break

By Kevin Taylor

For the last two games Greenville's secondary has been picked on by its opponents, and in both instances the Tigers have come away on the losing end.

This week, Greenville's secondary may get a break.

Eufaula rolled to a 45-14 victory over Charles Henderson Friday night by running the football. In fact all of the Tigers' 341 yards of total offense came on the ground with Chris Williams leading the way with 233 yards on 13 carries and one touchdown.

"They are the most physical football team I've seen so far this year on tape," said Greenville coach Mike Williams as his team looks for its first win of the season at Eufaula this Friday. "They will get after you on both sides of the football. They have good size up front on both sides of the ball. They are just a good football team."

Once again mental mistakes and the big play hurt Greenville last Friday in its 21-12 Region 2, Class 5A loss to Wetumpka at Tiger Stadium.

So rather than implement a gameplan for Eufaula on Monday, Greenville worked on its own worst enemy right now - Greenville.

"Our entire practice was spent on Greenville," Williams said. "We spent about three and a half hours out there (Monday) and really focused on ourselves, especially from a physical standpoint.

"I would say that 90 percent of our work this week will be on becoming more aggressive physically and the other 10 percent will be spent on Eufaula."

Once again, senior tailback Isiah Mack was the lone shining star for the Tigers in their loss.

Mack easily rushed for more than 100 yards and two touchdowns to keep Greenville in the game with Wetumpka. Mack broke one run for 82 yards for a touchdown and his second TD came on a 2-yard jog.

"Have we improved a little bit? Yes," Williams said. "But we can still work toward improving. I coach the running backs, and I'm still not satisfied with their play. We are not anywhere close to reaching our potential at any position right now."

While Eufaula didn't pick up a single yard through the air, it doesn't mean that Greenville won't continue to work on its secondary this week.

"We work pretty hard on it every day; it's not an area that has gone neglected," Williams said. "Some (players) have done a good job, but we're not getting the response from other players that we need. And that comes from experience. We did play a little better Friday night because we were in better position to try to make a play."

But the loses continue to mount.

"I think we're doing pretty good," Williams said. "We're competitive and not getting blown out of the games we've played. Sure, I'm disappointed that we're losing the games, but we're not giving up."