Trojans thump Greenville

Published 12:00 am Saturday, September 17, 2005

TROY - Something had to give in Friday night's battle between 0-3 Greenville and winless Charles Henderson at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium.

The Trojans scored the first time they touched the ball - on a 55-yard punt return - and added three touchdowns in the second quarter en route to a 42-6 victory over the Tigers.

&uot;It was more of what we've seen all along,&uot; Greenville coach Mike Williams said. &uot;We just have not blocked very well or tackled very well - and those are two pretty crucial areas if you're going to be successful.&uot;

Standout tailback Isiah Mack missed the game due to injury, along with four other starters.

&uot;That's not why we didn't win this game tonight,&uot; Williams said. &uot;But it will be nice to get them back healthy so we can continue to try to turn this around.&uot;

Greenville plays at Wilcox Central next Saturday.

On the other side of the field, Hugh Fountain finally exhaled after the Trojans limped to an 0-2 start with an anemic offense and leaky defense.

&uot;We played more like we're capable of playing tonight,&uot; Fountain said. &uot;Our kids played hard in a game we really, really, really, really needed. I'm very proud of them. I don't know anything about the stats, but I know we played harder tonight.&uot;

It's much easier playing from in front.

Jevoris Carter, who made plays for the Trojans all night, started things with a 55-yard punt return. He grabbed the punt on the first bounced, streaked to the right sideline, turned the corner and headed upfield. Harrison Bryant screened out punter Trent Deshazo, allowing Carter to score.

Greenville's best scoring chances came early. A big kickoff return by Greenville's Tom Powell IV put the Tigers at the CHHS 44-yard line. Tailback Brandon Cheatham picked up a first down on fourth-and-1 running behind Josh Hawkins and Ricky McCall, but the drive stalled at the 28-yard line.

Still, CHHS fumbled on its first play from scrimmage and Greenville's Lance Murphy recovered at the 35-yard line. Two plays later, however, the Tigers turned it back over when Zaccheus Etheridge, who has committed to Auburn, intercepted quarterback Lynn Lewis' long pass in the end zone for Marcus Mickles.

A Greenville turnover set up the Trojans' next score. A bad snap in the shotgun got away from Lewis and defensive end Laroy Fifer beat him to the ball and recovered inside the 1-yard line. Two plays later, CHHS quarterback Jared Loftin scored on a sneak for a 14-0 lead with 10:48 left in the half.

The Tigers gave the Trojans a short field on their next touchdown, too. A fumbled pitch from Lewis to Robert Phifer was recovered by Charles Henderson's Jakendha Fayson on the Greenville 34-yard line. Two plays later, Loftin rolled to his left, spotted Carter over the middle and threw a strike. Carter shook off Marcus Long's tackle near the 10-yard line and ran into the end zone for a 20-0 lead with 6:54 left in the first half.

Charles Henderson added another touchdown with a long drive that started on its own 8. Harrison Bryant gained 53 yards up the right sideline and fumbled - although Chris Moore recovered for the Trojans on the Greenville 39.

Loftin got the Trojans closer with a 19-yard quick screen completion to

Demonte King. Etheridge finished the march with a 4-yard run off right

guard. The two-point conversion pass from Loftin to King gave the Trojans a 28-0 halftime lead.

Greenville's score came with 2:01 remaining in the game. Lewis completed a 31-yard pass to Long to give the Tigers first-and-goal on the 4. Two plays later, Cheatham scored from the 1. The score made it 42-6.

CHHS had scored second-half touchdowns on a long pass over the middle from Loftin to King. The play covered 58 yards and it came on a third-and-37 situation. Their final TD came on a 16-yard run by Carter, who lined up as a quarterback in the shotgun and sped around left end with 1:22 left in the third quarter.