Mustangs trample Greenville

Published 12:00 am Saturday, October 1, 2005

Stanhope-Elmore turned a two-touchdown halftime lead into a 43-0 romp over Greenville High School on Friday night at Tiger Stadium.

The loss spoiled Homecoming for the Tigers and kept Greenville winless for the season.

Greenville is now 0-6 on the year.

Offensively, the Tigers were already struggling against the Mustangs' defense when starting quarterback Lynn Lewis was knocked unconscious and fumbled the football, resulting in a 55-yard touchdown return by Stanhope's Alphonso Perry. That gave the Mustangs a 14-0 lead in the second quarter.

Lewis left the game and back-up quarterback Tom Powell then had his shoulder separated on a pass play. David Stephenson played the rest of the game, but any hopes Greenville had of a comeback were dashed quickly in the third quarter when Stanhope-Elmore's Justin Bullard raced 61 yards for a score. A series later, Tre Lewis tacked on a 1-yard touchdown.

The Mustangs led 28-0 with 8:45 remaining in the third.

"No doubt they're a good football team," said GHS head coach Mike Williams of the Mustangs (3-2). "But we got ourselves in a bind real quick when we lost our starting quarterback and second-team quarterback. We had our backs to the wall. We couldn't do a thing offensively and you have to give Stanhope a lot of credit for thatŠwe just had a bad night."

The Mustangs opened the game with a touchdown drive as Jeremy Law connected with Bullard for a pass to the Greenville 1-yard line. Javon Johnson carried it over from there, giving his team a 7-0 lead with 3:36 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers' defense stopped the Mustangs cold on its next two possessions as Marcus Mickles and William Thomas both picked off Law passes, halting potential scoring drives.

Lewis, though, was injured on the Tigers' next possession.

"We kept our defense on the field because our offense couldn't do anything," said Williams. "We needed to throw the football against these guys and we knew that because they're real good up front and good at stopping the run. If you can't execute your game plan early you're in trouble. And we got in trouble early."

Lewis was transported to LV Stabler Memorial Hospital for evaluation after leaving the game.

"We don't know how he is until we get over there and see about him," said Williams. "But I think he'll be back. He's a tough kid."

Stanhope-Elmore tacked on a 31-yard field goal by Woo Song Noh and William Richards converted a fumble by Greenville's Isiah Mack into a 14-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Brian Graham added a 1-yard touchdown for the Mustangs to close the game.

Stanhope-Elmore head coach Jeff Foshee said he didn't care for the mistakes his team made on offense in the first half, but was pleased with the victory, especially after last week's loss at the hands of No. 1 Prattville, 47-6.

"A win always makes you feel better," he said. "Coach Williams has done a good job with those guys (GHS), but they've had a rough time."