GFD fights pair of Monday fires

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 14, 2005

An electrical short sparked a fire inside a Greenville home that completely gutted front portions of the structure on Monday morning, according to Fire Chief Mike Phillips.

At approximately 11:21 a.m., the Greenville Fire Department responded to a call at 1807 Pineapple Highway and soon had the fire under control. The front of the home suffered extensive damage and Phillips said the owner indicated she would probably tear the rest of the house down.

The owner, Terry Parsons, arrived as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire. Parsons said she was renting the house. The renter was not in the home at the time the fire started.

&#8220I work at night,” said Parsons. &#8220I had just barely got in when they called me and said there was a fire up here.”

Power lines and electrical wiring, burnt loose from the home during the blaze, crackled along the ground. Parsons watched as workers with Alabama Power cut power into the house, thereby eliminating the danger of electrical shock to firefighters working outside.

The Greenville Fire Department also responded to an apartment fire at 4:30 p.m. at Meadowview Apartments on Monday. Phillips said an unattended stove at the Cedar St. apartment complex caused the fire and although there were no injuries, he said apartment fires are exceedingly dangerous because of the threat to other surrounding units.

&#8220It's a pretty big concern, but thankfully it didn't spread, and we had it under control pretty quick,” he said.