Ivey visits county with unclaimed property list

Published 12:00 am Monday, July 3, 2006

State Treasurer Kay Ivey visited Luverne and Brantley June 19 to announce that 819 listings with Crenshaw County addresses appear on the state's unclaimed property database.

&#8220This basically represents $167,840 in assets that belong to the citizens of Crenshaw County,” Ivey said. &#8220Each year, the state treasury brings in millions of dollars of unclaimed property, and I want to see to it that the people of Alabama are reunited with what is rightfully theirs.”

Ivey said that unclaimed property could be in the form of uncashed checks, stocks, bonds, dividend checks, utility deposits, and even items found in abandoned safe deposit boxes. After a business has held unclaimed property for a number of years as set by law, they turn it over to the state treasury where it is held until it is claimed.

Ivey added that before Sept. 30, 2005, the state treasury had taken in $80,049,824 in unclaimed property, and that $13,840,514 had been paid to over 31,800 citizens.

&#8220People need the chance to get back what is theirs at no charge,” Ivey said. &#8220You don't need a lawyer for this. It is a free service provided by the State of Alabama.”

She added that individuals who are trying to claim property for someone who is deceased must visit the probate office for additional information.

&#8220Also, if someone calls you saying that you have unclaimed property being held by the Treasurer's office, and they can get it for you for a fee, just hang up,” Ivey stated. &#8220You should report any calls of that kind to the Treasurer's office immediately because that is a scam. Remember, there is no fee for this service.”

For more information about unclaimed property, Alabamians may search for their name on the Unclaimed Property database by visiting www.treasury.alabama.gov. Claims may be filed online or by calling the Treasurer's office and requesting a claim form. The Unclaimed Property division of the Treasurer's office can be reached toll free at 1-888-844-8400.