Troy University unveils new tags

Published 12:00 am Saturday, July 29, 2006

Special to the Journal

The new Troy University license plate is available for purchase at local probate offices throughout the state of Alabama.

Faith Ward, director of alumni affairs for TROY, presented the new University tag design to Crenshaw County Probate Judge Jim Perdue.

The tag's new design, which was unveiled in February, features the University's new Trojan head logo and five characters that may be personalized by the purchaser.

Ward said the new tag offers the public the opportunity to assist the University in providing scholarships for deserving students.

Of the $50 charge, over and above the purchaser's normal tag fee and taxes, the University receives $48 for the Trojan Pride Scholarship Fund.

&#8220The new car tag provides the opportunity for alumni, friends and supporters of the University to show their Trojan spirit, while also helping deserving students by providing funding for scholarships,” Ward said.

Since 1994, Troy University has received almost $600,000 through the state's Collegiate License Plate program.

Dr. Jack Hawkins, Jr., Troy University chancellor, said alumni and friends of the University should be pleased with the new tag design, which is the University's third different design since beginning its participation in the state's Collegiate License Plate program in 1982.

In 2004, the Troy University Board of Trustees voted to drop the word &#8220State” from the University's name to more appropriately reflect the University global mission.

Troy University serves more than 27,000 students at 66 campuses and sites in 17 states in the U.S. and 14 international locations.

The name change prompted the need for a new tag design.

&#8220We have a great new design that our friends and alumni throughout the state can enjoy and display with pride,” Dr. Hawkins said.

Those wishing to learn more about the new Troy University tags can contact the Alumni Affairs Office at 334-670-3318 or inquire about the tag at local probate offices.