Published 12:00 am Saturday, August 26, 2006
dedicated in Brantley
By Regina Grayson
Gloria Gibson Brantley Lyons saw the fruition of her efforts culminate in a special commemoration on June 28 in Brantley Park located on West Main Street.
At 10 that morning, a bronze plaque that had been donated by Mrs. Lyons to honor her great-grandfather, Thomas K. Brantley, was unveiled for those gathered for the special occasion. Lyons' husband, David, was with her to share the dedication of the bronze marker.
Also, Eugene Hendricks had painted a portrait of Thomas K. Brantley that was on display during the June 28 dedication ceremony.
Thomas K. Brantley was one of the founders of the town of Brantley, which was incorporated in 1891, and he played a significant role in the town's early history.
Brantley Park is cared for by the Brantley Garden Club. The members arranged several beautiful floral decorations for the morning's festivities. LaRue Kelso is the president of the Brantley Garden Club.
Mrs. John C. Mathews, Jr., gave the welcome address, while Mrs. Robert M. Cheney led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Mrs. Emory Folmar of Montgomery led the opening prayer.
Brantley Mayor Bernie Sullivan and city manager Larry Morgan welcomed everyone to the event.
The bronze marker of Mr. Brantley was placed by the Anne Phillips Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, which was represented by Mrs. Edward M. Patterson; the Benjamin Fenn Chapter of the Colonial Dames XVII Century, which was represented by Mrs. Robert M. Cheney; and the Nicholas Meriwether Chapter of the Daughters of the American Colonists, which was represented by Mrs. J. Wallace Tidmore, Jr.
During the dedication ceremony, special remarks were made by Mr. and Mrs. David F. Lyons, and closing prayer was offered by Mrs. John C. Mathews, Jr.
Afterwards, everyone enjoyed a reception in Miss Fannie's Tea Room.
Mrs. Gloria Gibson Brantley Lyons passed away Friday, July 28 at her Montgomery home. She was 68.