Sought-after rape suspect found

Published 12:00 am Saturday, September 9, 2006

A five-month search for man suspected of raping a 20-year-old female finally ended on Wednesday night with the arrest of Leroy Davis Scarver, 32, of Greenville.

Scarver is alleged to have raped a woman in her home in Greenville the night of March 12. Butler County Sheriff deputies arrested Scarver on Wednesday during a traffic stop along Highway 31.

Greenville police have charged Scarver with Rape, 1st degree. A conviction carries life or 10 to 99 years in prison and no less than 20 years if a deadly weapon was used.

Scarver also has outstanding warrants inside the city limits for failing to appear in court for driving with a suspended license. He is wanted by the county for failure to pay child support and in Crenshaw County for speeding and driving without insurance.

Butler County Chief Deputy Kenneth Hadley said during patrol on Wednesday night he noticed a parked car stopped alongside Highway 31 outside of Greenville. He pulled over to investigate and saw a woman standing by the vehicle and a man walking back towards it.

Hadely said he recognized Scarver immediately because of the suspect's criminal history and the outstanding arrest warrants.

&#8220He told me his name was Michael Scarver when I asked him,” said Hadley. &#8220I removed my Taser - because I thought he may fight - and asked him to put his hands behind his back and he complied. I then cuffed him and transported him to the Butler County Jail.”

In a written statement, the victim alleges Scarver was staying in her home the night of the attack, according to Sgt. Justin Lovvorn, lead investigator in the case.

&#8220She said she and a few of her friends had went to a club that night and she'd given her friends - along with Scarver - a ride home,” said Lovvorn. &#8220She said he (Scarver) asked if he could stay on her couch because he didn't want to drive back to Luverne that night.”

The victim alleges the attack occurred between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. in her bedroom.

&#8220She said he threatened to kill her if she didn't comply,” said Lovvorn.

Lovvorn said the victim notified Greenville police after the suspect left that morning.