Fire damages couple’s home

Published 11:43 pm Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year’s Day fire has partially destroyed the home of an Andalusia couple.

Kim and Kenny Wheeler were awoken shortly after 5:30 a.m. Thursday to find the garage and additional structure over the garage of their Easley Drive home engulfed in flames.

Lt. Larry Brown, an Andalusia fireman, said couple did manage to vacate the home.

“They did get out safely, thanks to the fire alarm they had,” Brown said. “Most of the damage was done to the garage area of the home. The rest of the home sustained heavy smoke damage, enough that some of the contents of the main house got really hot and melted.”

Brown said currently, the couple is unable to stay in the home.

It is unknown how the fire started.

“This just goes to show how important a fire alarm is to a home and its occupants,” Brown said. “Same goes for smoke detectors. Residents need to make sure they check the batteries in those twice a year. They can save your life.”

Brown also recommended clearing all doorways and windows of clutter and debris.

“This couple was able to exit by the backside of the house,” he said. “It’s crucial that your windows and doorways are free from any debris, because you never know how you might have to exit a house when it’s on fire.”