Electrical fire damages home

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A small electrical fire ignited at a home on Snowden Drive shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday, but firefighters were able to limit the damage.

Fire chief Ethan Dorsey said no one was at home at the time of the blaze.

“It appeared to have been caused by an electrical short when something started up in the home’s computer room,” Dorsey said. “The home wasn’t a complete loss, but it sustained heat and smoke damage after firefighters were able to contain the fire to the small room.

“The home owner was at work at the time, but she did have two dogs inside the home,” he said. “One died from smoke inhalation and the other was taken to the vet’s office for treatment.”

Dorsey said residents should be cautious of fire hazards.

“It’s that time of the year when people are hanging Christmas lights and decorating for the holidays,” he said. “Be careful about plugging too many things into electrical outlets and do not plug extension cords into other extension cords.

“And always right here at Christmas, people like having live trees in the home,” he said. “If you decide to go that route, don’t forget to water them.”

Dorsey said the heat from lights could cause a dry tree to ignite, starting a fire.