Wooten repeats as domino champ
Jerome Wooten was a winner in both the singles and doubles competition of the Andalusia Rotary Club’s World Championship Domino Tournament this past weekend.
Saturday marked the first time that one person has won in both competitions since 1994, when Harold Marler of Clinton, Miss., repeated the same success he’d had in 1989 by winning in both. This marked only the sixth time in the 35-year history of the tournament that the same person won both competitions in the same year.
Wooten, a resident of Kansas City, Mo., defeated Francis Studer of Carollton, Texas, Saturday night for the singles title. He won $3,000. Wooten also won the singles title in 2008. Studer won the doubles in 1997.
Earlier in the evening, Wooten and his doubles partner, Robert Newsome, also of Kansas City, split the $3,000 championship prize after defeating the team of Andy Murphree of Troy and Pat Henke of Hallettsville, Texas, who placed second and split $1,500.
Other winners in the adult doubles competition were:
• 3rd place, Antonio Hill of Tyler, Texas, and Frank Miles of Tallahassee, $750 split.
• 4th place, Xavier Velazquez of Tyler, Texas, and Norman Turner of Rehobeth, $500 split.
• 5th place, Dallas Henderson of Andalusia and Scott Hanke of San Antonio, Texas, $250 split.
• 6th place, Robert Hadley of Colquitt, Ga., and John Thomas of Montgomery, $100 split.
• 7th place, Rudolph Messick of Andalusia and Jimmie Goss of Hoover, Ala., $50 split
• 8th place, Francis Studer of Carollton, Texas, and Lee Earls of Silver Creek, Miss., $50 split.
Adult Doubles Consolation
• 1st place, Stanley O’Neal of Philadelphia, Miss., and Al Sharp of Prattville, Ala., $1,000 split.
• 2nd place, Patrick Morris of Greenwell Springs, La., and Ronald Tombs of Kansas City, Mo., $300 split.
• 3rd place, Willie Webster of Opelika and John Clenney of DeFuniak Springs, $100 split.
• 4th place, Ray Michael and Macky Barnes, both of Booneville, Miss., $50 split.
Teen Doubles Winners
• 1st Place, Stephen Darby, and Jeremy Wiggins, both of Andalusia, $225 split.
• 2nd Place, Anna Beth Bowden and Taylor Howard, both of Andalusia, $175 split.
• 3rd Place, Zack Carnley and Dylan Cook, both of Opp, $100 split.
• 4th Place, Adron Logan of Lineville, Ala., and John Clenny, of DeFuniak, Ga., $50 split.
Teen Doubles Consolation
• 1st Place, Chandler Cox and Jacob Bensinger, booth of Troy, $100 split.
• 2nd Place, Jay McCord of Andalusia and Josh Baker of Pike Road, Ala., $50 split.
Child Doubles Winners
• 1st Place, Adam Bensinger of Troy and Austin Kyser of Andalusia, $100 split.
• 2nd Place, Zack Haire of Booneville, Miss., and Tyler Hanners of Lineville, Ala., $80 split.
• 3rd Place, Griffin O’Connor of Red Level and Riley Graham of Heath, $50 split.
• 4th Place, Sim Bowden and Cooper Gooden, both of Andalusia, $25 split.
Child Doubles Consolation
• 1st Place, Anniston Moore of Pike Road, Ala., and Alex Happney of Baker, Fla., $50 split.
• 2nd Place, Noah Gooden and Steadman Glenn, both of Andalusia, $25 split.