Hammett named to Bentley’s transition team
Published 6:47 pm Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Speaker of the House Seth Hammett (D-Andalusia) is among the 18 members of Governor-elect Robert Bentley’s transition team.
Members were announced at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
“This transition team is made up of people representing a broad cross-section of community and state leaders in Alabama,” Dr. Bentley said Wednesday afternoon. “They will be working with me over the next two months to help identify strategies to accomplish the goals of our administration. They will also help me identify the most qualified people who are willing to join us to bring about the positive changes the voters called for in this election.
“This is an outstanding leadership team, one that shares my priorities to put Alabama back to work and move our state forward,” Dr. Bentley said.
Governor-elect Bentley said he had spoken with Gov. Bob Riley, who has pledged his full support to ensure a smooth and productive transition. In announcing the 18 names today, Dr. Bentley said, “Additional transition team members may be added as we move forward.”
Hammett, who served with Bentley in the House of Representatives, said the team will begin meeting right away and until he becomes governor in January.
“Robert is a man I have gotten to know over the last eight years,” Hammett said. “I am honored to have been asked to help with the transition and will help in any way that I can.”
Hammett, who considered a run for governor this year, did not seek reelection to the House. He also is the vice president of business development for PowerSouth.
Other members of the transition team are:
• Charles McCrary, (transition team chairman), president and CEO, Alabama Power Company, Birmingham
• Lynn Beshear, executive director, Envision 2020, Montgomery
• Dr. David Bronner, chief executive officer, Retirement Systems of Alabama, Montgomery
• Terry Bunn, S T Bunn Construction, Tuscaloosa
• David Cooper, sr. vice chairman, Cooper/T. Smith Corporation, Mobile
• Brig. Gen. Ed Crowell (ret.), senior vice president of administration, V.T. Miltope, Pike Road
• Dr. Marquita Davis, commissioner, Department of Children’s Affairs, Montgomery
• Sam H. Givhan, partner, Wilmer & Lee, Huntsville
• John Johns, chairman, president and CEO, Protective Life Corporation, Birmingham
• John J. McMahon Jr., chairman, Ligon Industries, LLC, Birmingham
• Dr. Cathy Randall, director emerita, UA Computer-Based Honors Program, Tuscaloosa
• Steve Shaw, president, Couch USA, Dothan
• Guice Slauson, Sr., president, Southeast Wood Treating, Inc, Montgomery
• Rep. Elwyn Thomas, Oneonta
• Irma Tuder, founder, Analytical Services, Inc. Huntsville
• Marc Tyson, president, Ready Mix, USA, Birmingham
• Edgar Welden, retired businessman, Birmingham