Last minute gifts can be purchased locally this week
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 22, 2010
With three shopping days left until Christmas, residents who need to make last minute holiday shopping purchases may want to take advantage of local goods and services.
Here are 10 ways to fulfill those final purchases without leaving town.
1. Homemade candles featuring landmarks in Andalusia. These candles can be found at All is Well Health and Inspirations, located across from BB&T on Three Notch Street.
2. Christmas meat boxes. Mild big links or baby links from Snowden’s Sausage, located on River Falls Street are sure to make a delicious gift. But hurry, residents only have until Thursday afternoon to get them, as the company will be closed Christmas Eve. Hilltop Meat company also has gift boxes ranging in price from $20 to $100, and buyers can get anything from smoked sausage and bacon to hoop cheese, cane syrup, turkey and ham. The company still smokes their products.
3. A stress relieving massage. Local spas and salons such as Oasis Fitness Spa & Salon offer massages to promote general well-being and self-esteem enhancement ranging from stone massages to pampered feet sessions. Give your loved one something that will take away the stress.
4. Have a loved one who enjoys dining out? Look no further than a gift certificate from a local restaurant, including CJ’s Grille, David’s Catfish, Huddle House and others.
5. For arts lovers, purchase a painting from the Lower Alabama Arts Coalition or the Opp Cultural Arts Council. These paintings are made with love from local artists.
6. For the theatrical lovers on the holiday list, why not surprise them with tickets to a Covington Arts Council production of “The Music Man” or “Bus Stop.” Tickets can be found at Ansley Place and Brooks Tru Value.
7. Have a special someone, who enjoys the ballet? Forgo sending them to Montgomery for a ballet, give them a local treat with tickets to “Dancing for Our Valentines,” the Andalusia Ballet’s Spring Showcase or a summer dance. Call 222-6620 for more information.
8. For those with a green thumb, purchase a gift certificate to a local nursery, such as the Blue Goose Garden Shop, Southern Belle Nursery or Howell’s Nursery.
9. Have a java junkie or sweets fanatic? Why not purchase a batch of cookies from Chrissie Schubert, cakes from Mrs. Dean, or specialty coffee beans from Sugar Rush?
10. Children interested in guitar or piano? Why not give them a gift that will last a lifetime? Andalusia Music Company and the LAAC, along with other residents, offer guitar and piano lessons.