Turner: Relay for Life meeting ‘11 goals
Published 12:02 am Friday, March 4, 2011
As the calendar quickly approaches April 29, the 26 Covington County Relay for Life teams are busy organizing upcoming fundraisers.
Carrie Turner, the county’s Relay co-chair, said things are quickly shaping up for the annual event.
“We’re doing very well meeting the goals we set for 2011,” Turner said. “We wanted 30 teams; we’ve got 26. We set our sponsorship goal from the community at $25,000; we’re at $24,000. So that means there is still time left to join.”
This year’s event will be held April 29 at the Kiwanis Fairgrounds. The theme is “Rockin’ Around the Clock.”
“That means anything ‘50s goes,” she said. “Bring your poodle skirts and dancing shoes and plan to ‘Twist and Shout.’ We are looking for a band or group to play ‘50s style music the night of Relay, so if anyone could help us out, we’d love to have them.
“A lot of people, including myself a few years back, think that Relay only supports cancer research,” she said. “But, believe it or not, it gives lodging, gas money and food, on top of support hotlines and research, to any number of cancer victims and their families.
“In fact, just recently, a local family contacted our American Cancer Society rep, and she was able to help them with gas money and lodging for a series of treatments that were out of town,” she said. “Relay is a national organization that actually reaches into our community to support ‘our’ people.”
For those who would like to help contribute to the cause, there is a host of upcoming fundraisers scheduled. Some of those include:
• Get your barbecue on with the City of Andalusia Department of Leisure Services Boston Butt and rib sale. Billy Joe Stallworth will be grilling up Boston butts for $25 and slabs of ribs for $20. The meat may be picked up from the Adult Activity Center or can be delivered inside the city limits on Thurs., March 17, or Fri., March 18.
To purchase, call 334-428-2102, fax 334- 222-9217 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Or contact any of the following team members:
Hazel Anderson, Alan Bracewell, Debbie Carter, Missy Carter, Wendell Dyess, Brenda Henderson, Diann Jones, Duke Smith, Billy Joe Stallworth, Karin Taylor or Sonja Godwin.
• If Andalusia’s too far to drive for ribs, check out the Mizell Memorial Hospital’s smoked rib sale, which is ongoing until March 26. Ribs will be prepared by Pap-Paw’s Q. Pick up is March 26. Call 334-300-7686 to order.
• Southeast Alabama Gas District will host a fishing tournament on March 26 at Point A Lake Park. Contact Reba Gant at 388-4116 for more information.
• Comfort Care Hospice will hold a carwash with Parker Photography models at AutoZone on April 9 from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Contact Vickie Wacaster at email@example.com for more information.
• Say it with a song and for a good cause with Andalusia High School’s singing grams. These are ongoing now. Contact Cavelle Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
For questions about the local Relay for Life event or to organize a team, contact Jennifer Lewis at 222-0533 or Carrie Turner at 427-3802. The next Relay meeting is Tues., March 8, at the Covington County Board of Education. The Relay Committee should meet at 5:30 p.m. and the team captains and public should be there at 6 p.m.