Utility room catches fire at Opp home

Published 12:00 am Friday, September 16, 2011

A Jackson Street home caught fire Wednesday afternoon in Opp, officials said Thursday.

At approximately 5:10 p.m., Opp fire fighters were dispatched to 500 South Jackson Street for a residential fire.

Fire Chief Joey Williams said one person, Aubrey Morgan, was at the residence at the time of the fire, but escaped unharmed.

“The fire started in the utility room that was connected to the house,” he said. “The fire was contained to that room.”

Williams said the damage did extend to some of the other upper areas of the home.

Williams said while exact cause of the fire is still being determined, it was ruled as accidental.