Firemen respond to chimney fire in Sanford

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 29, 2011

In addition to chilly temperatures, Monday brought an unwelcome guest for a Sanford homeowner – a chimney fire.

Firefighters with the local volunteer department were dispatched to a Houston Crossroads home at 4:40 p.m.

No information as to the extent of the damage was readily available; however, local residents should heed Andalusia Fire Department Chief Ethan Dorsey’s recent advice to make sure chimneys are free of trash and debris before lighting a fire.

Also, here are some other ways to avoid chimney fires, according to the Chimney Safety Institute of America:

• Use seasoned woods only. Dryness is more important than hard wood versus soft wood considerations.

• Build smaller, hotter fires that burn more completely and produce less smoke.

• Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or Christmas trees. These can spark a chimney fire.