Mom: We tried to obey the law

Published 12:04 am Friday, February 3, 2012

The mother of a man charged with escape earlier this week after he fled from his parole officer said Thursday she and her family tried to obey the law.

Yest-erday, The Star-News reported that Frank C. McQ-ueen, 32, was charged with escape after he reported to his local probation officer and was informed he would be expedited back to Ohio. He then fled the office.

McQueen’s mother, Dora Porter, said that her son served a year in Ohio on kidnap charges claimed by his then-wife and alleging that he had held her and their son against their will.

Porter said McQueen was released in Ohio on Jan. 20, 2012. Court records show he had his probation transferred from Ohio to Alabama, specifically Covington County. The probation plan, which stated McQueen would live with his mother at a specific address, was approved in November.

Eddie Cook, assistant executive director of Alabama Pardons and Parole, said earlier this week that McQueen had failed to report to his probation officer.

But McQueen’s mother said her son reported as soon as he arrived in Alabama.

“We were not financially able to give him the money for a bus or plane ticket at the time he was released,” Porter said. “When we did scrape up the money, he made it to Alabama on (Sunday), the 29th.”

Porter said she called the local Pardons and Parole office several times between Jan. 23 and Jan. 26 to let them know the situation and let them know her son had not yet arrived in Alabama.

Porter said she went with her son to see his probation officer on Monday, but she was not in.

“We were told to come back Tuesday at 9,” Porter said. “When we went back, they said they did not know if he had a warrant or not, and to come back at 2 p.m.”

It was on that third visit, Porter said, that McQueen was told there was an outstanding warrant for him in Ohio and he was to be detained and extradited. The warrant was for failure to appear with his probation officer.

Cook said earlier this week that McQueen ran when informed of this. He also said that parole officers had been unable to reach him at the address provided on his home plan when they looked for him beginning Jan. 25.

Porter said she moved between the time that her son’s release was approved and when he was actually released.

“He didn’t report because he hadn’t gotten to Alabama,” she said. “I’m not proud of him running, but he was scared.

“We obeyed the law,” Porter said. “It was his mistake that he ran. He was not trying to cause anybody any harm.

“Our family wants to apologize if he caused any law enforcement officer any stress,” she said. “I want people to know that he has a bond of $10,000, but I am not bonding him out.”

Asked why, she said, “I want him to stay here and I want this settled. He is not that type of child and he needs to face the consequences of his actions.”

Porter said she wanted to thank “Mr. Wismer and Mr. King at Pardons and Paroles. They were real nice to me when my son left and I thank them.”

Porter also provided her new address, 817 Clara Street in Andalusia.

Cook did not return phone calls Thursday seeking information on how McQueen and his mother should have handled his delayed return to Alabama.

On Wednesday, Pardons and Paroles indicated that McQueen would be extradited back to Ohio for the remainder of his sentence.

His mother said that the irony of those charges was that his now ex-wife and their son visited him the whole year he was incarcerated in Ohio.