Local churches continue Holy Week celebrations today, Sunday
Published 12:03 am Saturday, April 7, 2012
All week long, local congregations have been worshipping together in anticipation of Easter Sunday.
Traditionally, it is the most well-attended Sunday service of the year as Christians celebrate the resurrection of Christ.
For Christians, this is the day that Jesus came back to life, or was raised form the dead, three days after his death on the cross on Good Friday.
On Friday, members of the Christ the King Catholic Church, celebrated the week with a Stations of the Cross ceremony.
Stations of the Cross is a series of artistic representations depicting scenes from Jesus being condemned to die on the cross, the Passion, to him being placed in the tomb.
During the ceremony, churchgoers, physically move around a set of 14 stations, and sometimes include a 15th station for the resurrection.
Each station includes scriptural readings, prayer and songs.
The Holy Week celebration will continue today with:
Today, Sat., April 7
• Christ the King will hold a Holy Saturday Easter vigil mass at 7:30 p.m.
• St. Mary’s will hold a Holy Saturday quiet service at 9 a.m.
• Brooks Assembly of God will hold an Easter Celebration from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m.
• The Coleman Center will have the annual Easter egg hunt at 10 a.m.
Sun., April 8
• Christ the King will hold an Easter Day mass at 11:15 a.m.
• Easter Sunrise Service will be held at Frank Jackson State Park at 7 a.m., at Buck Creek at 6 a.m., Andalusia Memorial Cemetery at 6:25 a.m., Dozier Cemetery at 6:30 a.m., and Bethany Baptist at 6:45 a.m.; New Pilgrim Baptist at 6:30 a.m.; Antioch Congregational at 7 a.m.; First Bethlehem Baptist at 6:30 a.m., and the annual Eldridge-Grime Sunrise Service will be at 811 Sanford Road at 6:20 a.m.
• Bethany Baptist Church will hold an adult choir Easter Cantata at 10:30 a.m.
• St. Mary’s will hold Easter Day Eucharist at 9:15 a.m., followed by potluck lunch and an Easter egg hunt.
• Andalusia First Presbyterian will hold Easter Services at 11 a.m.
• West Highland Baptist Church will hold an Easter Cantata at 11 a.m.
• Rawls Baptist Church will hold Easter Homecoming at 11 a.m.
• Revival Center Church will hold an Easter Revival at 10:30 a.m.