Bad weather strikes county

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Monday’s weather brought downed trees, power outages, hail and heavy rain to areas of Covington County, and residents can expect more rain through the weekend, said county EMA director Susan Harris.

“(Monday night), we had reported to EMA eight downed trees in Andalusia, Pleasant Home, Opp and Antioch, plus six power outages calls in Andalusia and Red Oak,” Harris said. “Mostly the night’s weather was a rain, hail and wind event. Thankfully, there were no other reports of heavy damages.”

Harris said golf ball-sized hail was reported in the Sugar Hill Estates area.

Today, the chance of rain is 30 percent, but it’s going to be a hot one, Harris said.

“From what we’ve been told, it will be partly sunny and hot, with a high near 97 and heat index values as high as 106,” she said.

On Thursday, the rain chance jumps back up to 50 percent during the day and back down to 40 percent on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday, it drops to a 20 percent chance of rain, but will increase again on Monday to 40 percent.