Tigers dominate Warriors

Published 12:08 am Saturday, September 22, 2012

Straughn’s Austin Bozeman runs for an 80-yard touchdown Friday night. | Jeffrey Moore Jr./Star-News

The Straughn Tigers didn’t allow the suspension of seven players to hinder a winning effort in what proved to be nothing more than a tune-up game against Cottage Hill Friday night.

The Tigers utilized the legs of a big-play backfield and a stingy defense to come away with the victory, 49-7.

Straughn head coach Trent Taylor said he was pleased with what his team was able to accomplish during the win.

“We wanted to be basic and simple,” he said. “We wanted to work on the things that we haven’t been that good at (this season). And I think we did that.”

The Tigers wasted no time in establishing their dominance over an overwhelmed and overmatched Cottage Hill squad by forcing a three-and-out on the Warriors first possession.

The offense then put their first points of the night on the board when Daryl George took a sweep off left end into the endzone from ten yards out to cap a five play, 57 yard drive.

Senior quarterback/kicker Chase Short’s PAT was good, and Straughn took an early lead, 7-0, with 6:51 left in the first quarter.

Later in the quarter, Short stood in the pocket, and though he took a vicious shot from his blindside, delivered a strike to junior Keith Edgar, which he took down the sideline for an impressive 79-yard touchdown reception. After a successful PAT, the Straughn’s lead was stretched to 14-0 with 2:08 remaining in the first.

The Tigers’ next drive started at their own one yard line after being pinned deep by exceptional Warrior punt coverage.

Short gave his offense some breathing room with a solid first down run to around the 20 yard line and two plays later, sophomore Austin Bozeman did the rest.

Bozeman took the handoff straight up the middle, squeezed out of a pile of defenders and raced 80 yards to the goal line.

With another made PAT, Straughn led the Warriors 21-0 with 7:35 left to play in the first half.

But the Tigers’ first half fireworks weren’t over, as they ripped off several more big plays, including a 37-yard touchdown pass from Short to senior Nigel Byrd and a 30 yard scoring run from freshman Jarvaris Green.

The score at the half was 35-0.

The second half gave some of the younger Tigers an opportunity to get in some work, as Straughn mainly played their second and third teams.

The backups tacked on two more scores in the second half and allowed only one touchdown to end the game with a final score of 49-7.

While the scoreboard indicated an easy win for the Tigers, Taylor was quick to point out that their work has only just begun.

“We’ve got a real tough schedule from here on out,” he said. “We’ve got a lot to work on.”

Straughn hits the road next week to take on defending 2A state champion Elba.