Many charities deserve our support
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Giving What We Can is an international society dedicated to eliminating poverty in the developing world. Its members come from many different walks of life, but are united in the belief that global poverty is one of the most important problems in the world today, and in the desire to do something about it. They see that their comparative wealth can prevent a significant amount of suffering, and pledge to give at least 10 percent of their incomes to wherever they think it will do the most to relieve suffering in the developing world.
We like their outlook on comparative wealth. It is difficult for most of us to imagine that some of the poorest Americans are rich by the world’s standards. And no matter how much or how little we make, we can give to help others.
So with Christmas behind us, it’s time to pack away the decorations and get on with the business of closing out the calendar and tax years. If you would like to make charitable contributions before the tax year ends, here are some great local causes:
• Habitat for Humanity of Covington County, P.O. Box 1034, Andalusia, AL 36420. We cannot say enough about the work this charity does, combining sweat equity with contributions to help people of limited means earn homes of their own.
• Crossover Ministry, the eight-month addiction recovery program in Opp serving all of Covington County. Almost every crime committed in Covington County and in Alabama has a drug or alcohol connection. This group does important work. Contributions can be mailed to 508 Highway 52 East Opp, Alabama 36467.
• Wherever there is trouble in the world, the Amercain Red Cross is there to help. Covington County Chapter of the American Red Cross, 234 Hillcrest Drive in Andalusia, AL, 36420.
• Miracle League of Covington County is building a field and playground for physically challenged students to participate in youth sports. Contributions can be mailed to Miracle League of Covington County, P.O. Box 1971, Andalusia, AL 36420.
• Meredith’s Miracles was created in 2005 in memory of Meredith Elizabeth McGlamory. The non-profit organization helps families with non-medical expenses. P.O. Box 643, Andalusia, AL 36420.
• United Fund of Covington County funds numerous local charities. Checks can be mailed to P.O. Box 1791, Andalusia, AL 36420.
• The Lower Alabama Arts Council 513-A East Three Notch Street, Andalusia, AL 36420, promotes the arts.
• The Andalusia Ballet continues to raise money for expansion of its new home in the Church Street Cultural Arts Centre. The Ballet also funds scholarships for those who cannot afford lessons. Andalusia Ballet Association, P.O. Box 1736, Andalusia, AL 36420.
• You’ve heard the old proverb. “Give a man a fish and he’ll eat for today; teach a man to fish and he’ll eat forever.”
If education is your cause, there are several ways to give.
–LBWCC has two foundations that primarily fund scholarships. LBW Community College Foundation, P O Box 1311, Andalusia, AL 36420 and MSTC Foundation, P.O. Drawer 1418, Andalusia, AL 36420.
–The AHS Class of ’48 Foundation funds scholarships for local students. The address is P. O. Box 603, Andalusia, Al 36420.
There are many other opportunities for giving.